trotoise owners

Reptor

come on people i cant be the only preson in nz wanting to breed his tortorise im keen to kick it off this year an are more then aware that to breed and rise a tortorise is at lest a 5yr comitment 2 the babys im not in it 4 the money more love and growth of my hobby,so please if you are out there drop me a line so i may experience the next step

hey guys saw just out cleain rockin horse poo :D it would seem this is going to be a task and im aware of just how hard it is to find a female however i remain optamistic and will keep tryin

''difficult takes a day, impossable takes a week, do miracles in my sleep''

but it would seem that a lot of people who own them are selfish and aren't concerned with the long-term availability of them here.

I do not think that is true .. has I know a quite few tortise breeders and they are all good people.

They do not breed easy and when they do breed they are very precious baby to them ..there is a lot of time put in to make evey thing right.

There will be more babies soon and we just have to be patinent and hopfully they will be avaliable .

I said a lot, not all. Obviously some people are concerned about the long-term availability of reptiles in NZ, some are concerned/paranoid about theft (hadn't thought about that aspect Mark), and some just can't be bothered. Obviously if they're breeding the tortoises, not just keeping them, then they're not being selfish...

many people have had their tortoise for a number of years and are reluctant to part with it even for breeding purposes

have offered a male to a few with a female but they were scared mine would die in their care

no point in pressing some people when it concerns their heirloom pet

can i offer this solution if you have a female friend for mr hermans than private message reptor and sort out some sort of breeding program if you would like to help preserve the species but are worried about theft and a bit worried about publicly stating what you have which is fair enough I.M.H.O can i ask what the point of stealing the animals? is it possible to tag or track them?

ps i just don't get it aye if some one is willing to offer help to preserve the species why some wouldn't take the opportunity i understand the risk you take when lending and accepting for breeding purposes but i'm sure it will be even worse when you love an animal to death eventually it will die and then what wish you had another one? or have the whole species you love so much die with you

for me finding and buy a tortoise was a dream come true, ive all but givin up on the idear in nz but i was lucky, they make great pets n im sure all tortoise owners feel the same so i understand the fear of thieft or even incorrect care,however i dont have the answers but i am sure if all tortoise owners got a bit more driven in all the breeds we have left there would be more chance of buyin one the more the chance the less reason to steal one my point being lowlifes steal oh ah things i keep mine low key n safe most my friends think im mean not keepin him in a pond or a tank like there mates one :roll:

• 2 weeks later...