Fungal Infection Turtles

Jo1

We are babysitting a pair of 20 year old turltles for a friend and picked them up today. The male has had the infection for at least a month, ainly on his tail, and I am pretty sure the female now has it as her legs look whiteish. As we are in the will to inherit them when the owner passes on and we are very fond of them I would like to clear this up before he gets back in a couple of weeks. We are out at work all day so would prefer to trat in the tank - Any suggestions? we have alreadu salted the tank. Thanks.

Usually when turtles bask and dry off it will help kill the bacteria or fungus. they can be left out of the water for extended periods.

you can add acriflaven or malachite green or both to the water

i use an iodine spray and then leave the turtle out of water for the day

then repeat every second day for a while

just my opinion though

others may have other methods

What is the name of the iodine spray,as there is many types. The one that was sold to me months back was to strong and the fumes were strong.That was called vetadin and i was told it would be okay for the turtles.I kept it for my dog instead,and rang and told them it was unsuitable for turtles.That was my opinion.

as repto said could just be skin sheeding as it does look unsightly

otherwise if it is fungus id be asking, what caused it?

does it have a basking area with spotlight/heatlamp and a reptile fluro or wot -

salts all good but more so keeping them in the correct conditions should sort it out, but hard to say without more info

Thanks guys, Will try your suggestions. The turtles have never had this problem before, they only have daylight bulbs at home, and have been hibernating at home. The male appears to have lost part of his tail - I think he has had it for a while. Can I get the iodine spray from the chemist?

Well went to the chemist and no iodine spray so I am going to give betadene a go which apparently has antibiotics in it too. They will be comming out of water tonight to be treated and put back in in the morning. I will let you all know how it goes and thanks so much for the advice.

Betadine is fine. Just watch as it STAINS like mad. :( Wear gloves or use a cotton bud to dab onto the area. Let fungal area dry a bit first and then apply...and not on your kitchen bench as you may end up with a permanent stain. You can use the betadine for most wounds or injuries but not around the face/eyes. Is the tank quite humid? as thats not good for allowing the turtles to dry out properly. Removing or reducing any lids will decrease the humidity. Whats the water temp?