Can energy saver bulbs be used on a planted tank

cichlid7

i have seen a couple of tanks that have energy saver bulbs being used for the lights and the plants looked like they were growing quite good. ive also heard of a few other people using them.

Would anyone recommend not using them and why.

this seems like a much cheaper way to go than 2 x 150w MH

Your choice. Everybody has a different way of doing things and the best way is the one that works for you. I would use 1/2 cool white and 1/2 growlux for 16-18 hours a day but my tanks are only up to about 450mm water depth, and half the light you propose. You are probably going to have to suck and see.

my tank is a 1500x500x650mm and I use standard fluro fittings and bulbs - have 2 sets of 2 bulbs (4 bulbs in total - 4 foot long) on 10 hours a day and am getting good plant growth - in fact am always prunning and the tiger lotus loves the light that I have.

• 3 weeks later...

it really depend what plants you growing now

some plants like jave fern, they didn't need strong light, Power Save bulbs will ok on it

some plants like swords, they need quite lot of light, power save bulbs may not good on it

in asia country, some player using Power Save Bulbs + T5HO to sim sun-rise & sun-set, it can give you more choice can go