moving house some questions about gas

spoon

hi all we are moving into a nice 6brm house from our dingy 3brm art deco flat, we have some questions about gas. the house is heated by a gas fire the hotwater is gas heated and the kitchen has gas hobbs . the system runs off two big gas bottles outside(45lbers). ane idea how much gas we would go thru there will be 4 or 5 adults in the house so say 8 showers a day and the fire wouldnt really be on much as the house is warm. i just no idea wat sort of price the gas bottles are or how many we would be likely to go thru in a month. that aside the house has 2ha of land with a small stream running thru it (have to investigate for signs of life, its rural yet only 5 mins to town we are so happy with it

My friend has gas bottles and they are not cheap to refill.I think she said 120 a month for one.There are only her and two children.She does not use the gas heating.But she does not have a cylinder,so her water heat as it comes out.If you have a cylinder i think it runs a bit cheaper.

Not totally sure myself, but I think you will find that it wont be too much dearer than if you were on mains gas.

My house has gas hot water and gas heating (gas hobs dont really use that much gas as they arent really on for long) and we have two or three showers per day and lately the heater has been on for at least 6-7 hours per day and our gas bill was just over $100 last month.

What youll save in line charges will prob be used toward bottle exchange.

HTH

We have a gas fire which we use most nights for atleast 3 hours per night with the 2 45kg cylinders outside each cost $108 to fill (you can not take them to a petrol station to fill them :lol: ) they last 4 - 5 months.

hot sure how much the hot water heating will cost but i think it is meant to be cheaper the electric hot water as you only heat what you need.

true you will save on daily line charges. not sure what your gas will cost depends on the company's charges you get it from but i know with mains gas (piped in from the street) it's cheaper than electricity. also rinnai infinity hot water heating (heats it as you go) is cheaper than having a cylinder because a cylinder will heat the water whether you use it or not. HTH

Not totally sure myself, but I think you will find that it wont be too much dearer than if you were on mains gas.

My house has gas hot water and gas heating (gas hobs don't really use that much gas as they arent really on for long) and we have two or three showers per day and lately the heater has been on for at least 6-7 hours per day and our gas bill was just over $100 last month.

What youll save in line charges will prob be used toward bottle exchange.

HTH

Are you on bottles,as i think it works out dearer.My daughter is on main gas and its cheaper than bottles.But i think it depends on your setup.I wish i had your power bills.Mines two fifty a month and thats . with no heating.

Are you on bottles,as i think it works out dearer.My daughter is on main gas and its cheaper than bottles.But i think it depends on your setup.I wish i had your power bills.Mines two fifty a month and thats . with no heating.

Thats just the Gas

our power was $160.00 last month and I was away in hospital for most of the month so Id hate to see what it would have been if i was at home.

Do you know anyone who subscribes to Consumer? They did a comparison of energy costs recently. I think the bottled gas came out cheapest but I'm not 100% sure of that. I looked at their web page but you have to be a member before you can view the information

we use gas bottles (the large ones) for water heating only... cost is $68 per month delivered .

We go through a bottle every 2 months.

Heating (and cooling) is via airconditioning and my monthly power bills range from 130 in summer to about 200 or just over (largest ever was $280)

Beauty of gas is that the water never runs out provided you check the indicator every week.

When we swapped to gas it was when I had all 3 daughters at home.

Brenda (wife) would go out for a run and have a shower

Lizzette would come home from school and have a shower (she was a grub and would get filthy in a locked room with nothing in it... all you mums know what I mean)Corin would come home from teachers trainingcollege and have a shower.

I would come home from working all day stinking of BO and NEED a shower but there was no bluudy hot water so to change to gas bottles was an easy decision

It is 6 of one and half a dozen. Gas is dearer than electricity but you only heat the water that you use. You can do this with electricity as well. Electric storage heaters use power to heat the water all the time. When people rang up to say that their septic tank had failed the first question was always "How many teenage daughters are living in the house?"

oh well even if it works out dearer than straight electricity i guess u cant beat instant hot water and mains pressure showers! :bounce:

there is wallmounted electronic temperature controls in every room that has hot wat so u can adjust the temperature there hopefully it goes right down to 26c lol then i can connect the python directly to the kitchen tap .

i cant really complain a the house is so sweet , no bond or anething and only $400 a week its a huge step in the right direction from what we live in now

but how many fishtanks are you heating? ;)

I only run five,but two of those are turtle tanks.They dont have lids on as i was told its bad for them.All i have running is two tvs,two computers,the dryer every day for an hour and three showers a day.But my son and daughter stay in the showers for ever which does not help.Its not the tank as my son inlaw said they only cost thiry eight dollars to run.

We ahve the same2x45lber's bottles that run our water, heating and hobs, It is cheaper than mains and poweer it all depends on how you use them.

We go through 1 bottle every 6-8 weeks and there are our 2 daughters and hubby and me. Hubby,girls and I shower every night and also cook dinner on the hobs 9x out of 10.

The real drainer is the heating but if your house is warm then it shouldn't be a problem.

We found when we were on mains gas it did cost more than power but it depends on the user.

HTH!!!

"there will be 4 or 5 adults in the house so say 8 showers a day "

that to me makes a big difference.... how will a heater cope with 8 showers a day

gas is on demand water heating we wouldnt ever run out of hot water like u can with a hot water cylinder(which could be a problem in its self) on gas and rockgas seemed to think we would use around 1 gas bottle a month($112) for water heating and gas hobbs and up to another 1/2 bottle if using the gas fire at nite. that sounds expensive right , but considering we live in an art deco house with no insultaion a heat pump which does nothing, 3kw hotwater cylinder with an uninsulated concrete header tank sitting exposed on the roof; our power bills here are 250 -270 for 3 adults the majority of this is water heating then heatpump . now consider the new house where there will be 5 people to split the rent and utilities with , the house is sunny insulated and not mouldly, every single recessed downlight fitting in the house has energy saving bulbs (so 15w instead of 100w, big differnece when there is over 100 bulbs) also we wont need to run 2 dehumidifyers 24/7 to combat the damp

lol we definatly want the house its too gud to be true we were just a bit worried about the cost of gas etc as we have never used it b4 but it sounds all good . u can have our old house its on the market 250k innes rd lol

"5 adults= 8 showers a day"...save money...shower together!
lol i mite scare people we worked it out for rent and gas at two bottles a month and 160 a month power 80 a month ph and broadband its only 110 a week ea so pretty bloody good it willmost likely end up being cheaper than that