AROWANA

Oh what, like I posted something nastier? No.

And trust me, I've had some worse reamings than this on another forum (very dramatic that forum, but a good sense of community). Really. There's no point in debating fine points but maybe I'm desensitised by the amount of drama on this other forum.

You think it was overkill, fine, I'll give it up. But frankly being confused/surprised by someone who has expressed some experience posting about keeping a bunch of large fish in a small tank with no qualifier about moving them into a bigger one doesn't register as "harsh" with me.

Oh what, like I posted something nastier? No.

And trust me, I've had some worse reamings than this on another forum (very dramatic that forum, but a good sense of community). Really. There's no point in debating fine points but maybe I'm desensitised by the amount of drama on this other forum.

You think it was overkill, fine, I'll give it up. But frankly being confused/surprised by someone who has expressed some experience posting about keeping a bunch of large fish in a small tank with no qualifier about moving them into a bigger one doesn't register as "harsh" with me.

No you didn't post anything nastier - you agreed with the first post making yours equal.

I've visited sites like the one you mention above. For me I find they have no sense of community but can easily imagine it suits some people fine. We're trying to offer a family environment for both young and not so young people. We're here for people with no experience right through to the best of the best. All members need to given the benefit of decent treatment until they are proven troublemakers - and they show themselves very quickly when they turn up here.

Don't make your first response offensive to the initial poster. Even if they turn out to be trouble, there's still no place for it on the site. They'll eventually get sorted.

Note: I have no issue with the people who made the posts in this thread. It was an excellent example to use to try to get the 'sense of comminity' message across mentioned by Fenriswolf. In my experience, people feel they belong if they get on with each other, get help and positive criticism without being belittled or attacked. My sole purpose in pursuing this is to try to make the FNZAS forums a better place for everyone. I'm sorry if anyone in this thread has taken my comments personally - they are mostly intended for everyone, not the people in the thread although hopefully they will understand what I'm trying to achieve as well. I too have been aware of the lack of 'community feel' for some time but have been too busy focussing on other aspects of the site in recent times to do anything about it. I'm not sure if the approach I'm taking is the right one but it's what I know. This is your forum and it's only as good as you make it. The Admins and Mods are here to help out and step in when necessary. It's therefore up to everyone here to be nice to each other and bring back a sense of 'community'. Any member who posts in a negative manner chips away at that sense. When the chipping starts to outweigh the good we end up with members feeling alienated and leaving.

Lets stop this now please and get on with being helpful. :D

Well, whatever you think you meant, it was at least partially responsible for making the member edit their posts and probably never come back to this site again. Just think a bit about posting before alienating people. Some people genuinely don't know and others don't put enough detail in their posts. Both are no reason to create responses like these...

31 posts and been a member for a year, not exactly a newbie....

Mod = Warren: So what and who cares how long they've been a member - there's no need to treat ANY member like this irrespective of who they are, how long they've been a member or how many posts they have - would have though that was pretty simple and easy to understand but maybe it's difficult for some...

You can lead a horse to water but you can't stop it urinating in the trough. I too am tempted sometimes to make a smart arsed remark (like the one above) but I try to remind myself of some of the goddam stupid mistakes I made in the past, and am still not immune from.

So it would seem. Edit - Mod Billaney

heres a bit from the guidelines.

Topics of this type will be removed and action taken against the poster(s):

- sensitive topics (political, religious, sexual reference etc).

- subjects / content not suitable for children to read.

- profanity, swearing or implied swearing.

- Disrespectful, obscene, vulgar or abusive posts

- posts intended to create a reaction

- personal attacks.

- sexually oriented

- slander

- illegal

Since you won't learn the nice way, the full force of 'The Dark Side' will now fall upon you until you submit - resistance is futile!! (I know, two different shows...)

Nothing more will be said on the matter - people who are disrespectful will suffer the consequence. As usual the small few have ruined it again for all...

The topic will now also be locked as I know some small few will not be able to help themselves - as clearly demonstrated earlier in this thread.