Bolivian Rams - Questions

skaffen

I've just transferred about two thirds of my Bolivian fry into a fry net. I'll try to get the rest later on tonight. I felt bad for mum and dad, who fought me all the way :(

I'm just wondering what sort of survival rate I should expect for the fry?

Also, should I put some Riccia into the net to give them some cover?

If anyone has any tips on raising these guys I'd appreciate it :)

Here's dad with the kids.

IMG_0117.jpg

-Simon

I wish my bolivians looked half as good as these. I have a pair in my semi aggressive tank, they have no colours in them whatsoever. They are not being hassled by any other fish or each other so I doubt it's due to stress. I guess the conditions are just not right for them.

I wish my bolivians looked half as good as these. I have a pair in my semi aggressive tank, they have no colours in them whatsoever. They are not being hassled by any other fish or each other so I doubt it's due to stress. I guess the conditions are just not right for them.

What other fish are they with?

Hey, we've found that any other fish in our tanks will peck away at the net to try and get at the babies (which ended up with the babies too stressed and most dying!). we've gone back to the plastic seperators for our babies that we keep in same tank with parents. Other than that we put bubs in seperate tank. Hth :D:D Btw...very jealus, gorgeous fish (wish ours would breed!)

can you show more pictures of the parents, I'm looking at a sure fire way of sexing them.

thanks

I found a foolproof method. Wait and see who spawns - my newest female just deposited a clutch of 'em :D She's still small, so it's funny watching her boss my large Bala around. I have the feeling I've got three females and one male, not the 50-50 split I was aiming for.

Off to the fabric and hobby shops tomorrow. I plan to build a tank divider out of fine netting and plastic rods, to let the parents raise 'em in peace and quiet. Thankfully the rocks the Bolivians like to spawn on in my tank are down one end, so I only have to isolate about 15% of the tank.

Not to scale, lol

IMG_0128.jpg