leopard fish

Hi guys,

I say some of these fish last weekend at the lfs and they were really really cute. I read that they can be kept in cold water. Is this true? I was wondering if they do better in cold water or tropical? Do they grow fast in cold water or tropical? They were $4.50 if I can remember right is this a good price?

I got a couple of these from my lfs. They are cool! He (the store owner)was doing an experiment by keeping some in coldwater (unheated) and some in tropical water. He found that the ones in the unheated tank grew faster than the ones in the tropical tank.

I have mine in a tank that is kept around the 18-20 degree mark and they are doing well. the female has dropped some babes - quite out of the blue since the male died the day i got it, about 2 months ago (the lfs is going to replace him but i said dont worry at the mo due to the babies arriving!)

I have mine in with a couple of Borneo suckers - also VERY cool fish!

the female has dropped some babes - quite out of the blue since the male died the day i got it, about 2 months ago

I'd imagine they're the same as most livebearers, that they hold sperm for months after mating and fertilise multiple spawnings.

Leopardfish, Phalloceros caudomaculatus are lovely little fish. They are coldwater livebearers and very easy to keep. They used to be very common but as fads came and went they seemed to be forgotten in exchange for their more colourful tropical friends.