Help Please

spangela

I'm in abit of a 'situation' Simon (the one who knows all about fish) had to go to Australia in a hurry this weekend and I have been left with the fish. Normally this is fine becasue he writes me the 'dummies guide' and I manage to work it out. This time because he went in a hurry I have zero instructions so I am hoping that someone on here can help answer my questions.

1. How do I make brineshrimp?? I know it is baking soda, slat and water but how much of everything? My supply is nearly ruun out and I know it takes time for them to hatch.

2. His baby discus (about 1-1.5cm) are not looking good.(2 dead already) Before he left he put Prazi?? in the tank. but can I do anything else??

Thanks heaps if you can help me :D

Angela (the fish dummy)

Brine shrimp recipe; small pinch of brine shrimp; 300mls water, teaspoon of salt, aeration, wait 16 hours add hatched brineshrimp to tank.

Cant help with the discus, but i have heard that they need 10% water change daily, make sure water is de-chlorinated and at right temperature. don't over feed. but i have never had discus so this information needs verification.

I used to raise discuss. At 2cm in length they used to die off untill i "discovered" furan capsules. They get a thing called "gill Fluke". Large ones can live with it but juveniles die from it. Feed 'em anything they will eat chopped up eartworms, beef heart, shrimp, anything at all. I didn't think they grew that much on brine shrimp and got them going on other foods as soon as I could. Make sure you siphon out waste/uneaten food. Remove any dead ones pronto. Feed them as much as you can, grow them fast and big. They are cool fish too raise.

Thanks for your help!!

I am also feeding and babies bloodworm and flake. The brine shrimp are for his multiple other babies :)

Next Question...

Last night his oscars (20-25cm) had a fight. At the time neither of them looked injured but I have just got home from work and although happy one of them has white fuzz coming from an injury. Can I do anything??? If so what??

thanks in advance (again)

I used to raise discuss. At 2cm in length they used to die off untill i "discovered" furan capsules. They get a thing called "gill Fluke".

probably what the prazi was for, or to worm them. (it does both). yeah that small the mortality rate will be high. good clean warmed dechlorinated water helps a lot too.

I have done a massive water change on the oscars and about 15% on the discus. I also dosed the oscars with Melafix. Seperating them isn't an option as I don't have a spare big tank.

Thanks for your help

I am bound to have more questions when I get home and check them again tonight :)

I think this dilema is major (I am hoping that I am wrong)

The air pump is not working. I came home and it had blown the fuse so I fixed it but now it is just mega hot and making a groaning sound. But none of the tanks have air. It is one of those massive pumps that do a whole fishroom, I know no air is bad. It must of happened a while ago becasue the fish don't look happy.

How do I solve this dilema?

Each tank has a sponge filter run from the dead air pump. Last night I hooked up all the little pumps in a 'non-expert' way but decided a little air is better than no air so most fo the tanks have a tiny bit. I will buy some more little pumps after work and hook up the rest of the tanks. Hopefull ythat will be enough until Saturday night. Becasue thy now have no filters (my system couldn't handle it) should I cut back on feeding???

The amount of action is just insane! Why does it all happen when he is away?? How typical!!

Maybe this stuff happens all the time and he just 'forgets' to tell me becasue he knows I will just roll my eyes and grunt.

Don't worry he won't be going anywhere ever again. I will burn the passport if I have to!

The repair could take too long. Buy a new pump. At the end of the day I would rather return to a bill for a new pump than dead fish. repair the old one for a spare.

Discus- if you aren't fimilar with medicating just continue your small water change-daily if you can.

Agree with melafix for the Oscar- they sould be OK.