Pumice sand as substrate?

rollergirl

Would this be ok? Want to set up a planted tank with lighter coloured substrate, on top of Dalton's Aquatic Mix. Plants would be hairgrass, ozelot swords, ambulia and cyprus (so far anyway). Could potentially mix some of the pumice into brightwater gravel if I had to...What do the plant experts think? :D

Haha, that's what I thought, but it's river pumice, so has been underwater for a while (so I assume anyway). pH is my main worry really. I want Apistos in the tank (along with threadfin rainbows, sparkling gouramis, bn/ottos and some kind of schooling fish) so don't want the pH to be too high. It'll have a fair sized piece of driftwood in it though.

:-?

I used this substate for years, had no trouble at all with it. Around here the streams are full of it. They use diggers to get the stuff out. Its free! It works good and looks good. Go for it! IMG_2133600x400.jpg Must be some of the purest water in the world I rekon... Pumice substrate.

i just used the same stuff the other day and was going to wait and see what happens. its the daltons pumice (No. 2) you will need to wash it well first, i have young fish in the tank and they are fine. Surprisingly not a single piece floated when it was being washed, my concern was would stunt growth. but i thought that it is very light and will not condense the substrate with excess weight, and that it will be easy on bottom feeders. it is very bright though, with plants i prefer a darker substrate but its just 'the look', it should work pretty well, but i am no expert.