white spot

bikiegirl

hi can some one tell me what white spot looks like plz as ive just lost my 2nd fish in 12hrs and the rest of the tank mates have got some little white speck all over they fins ive put some thing called tonic in the tank for now as it got for white spot on the bottle but if it is white is this the best thing to use or???

bikiegirl

I've used Tonic before but found that it didn't completely get rid of the white spot after two doses. I did a water change and then got some White Spot Cure from Hollywood Fish Farm and that got rid of it, after a couple of doses. I was advised to keep dosing until the white spot was completely gone, even tough the bottle said to only dose a maximum of three times.

Cheers,

Matt

The thing to remember with the assorted cures for white spot is that their (usually) only killing the water-born stage of the organism. This is one reason that you often get told to increase the temperature when dealing with whitespot - that speeds up the life-cycle so that it becomes the water-born phase more quickly where you can actually kill it.

I've always worked on the: do a 50% water change (reduces the numbers of disease organisms), increase the temperature and treat with whitespot cure as per the bottles instructions scheme.

when you det any disease you have to look at why your fish got sick in the 1st place, eg check temp, ph, ammonia , have you put knew fish in?

have the fish been stressed, new fish food, sprays, anything new put in the tank.

with white spot it is common at this time of year because of the cold weather, turning your temp up does help stop getting it also not doing big water changes.

but because you have it turn your temp up to 28

remove carbon if you us it (i do not like carbon so i would use it unless you really have to)

i would have use white spot cure , tonic is not a good thing to use and i dont think it should be sold but thats just how i feel haha

turn your light off as much as you can as that does help with white spot oh and also if your fish are sick they dont eat as much so cut down the feed.

ty u all for ur help

ive tune the temp up and i think it was stress as i been playing around with the filter ,the severums keeped hiding under it so ive been moveing it to find a places so there do not hide under it, but the tonic seem to be working as i been watching the tank and now i only see one fish with it but now . but im still going to finsh the med cycle ,im doing a water change in it today with will be 4 days after frist putting the tonic in the tank.

so far

temp is at 30

ph, ammonia is ok

and i got a blue tank lol

and i do not use carbon (not sure what that is so do not use it )

• 3 months later...