Wild Sand Goanna

Is definatly a sandy its exactly same as the ones in your pic accept they are extremly dirty lol

yea they are abit dusty lol. Sand monitors very very rarely climb trees whereas laceys live in trees, its definatly a lacey mate

Sandy:img0096pt6.th.jpg

Lace monitor:dinoik4.th.jpg

lacemonitorgarbageguts0yh5.th.jpg

Sorry for confusion but it is definatly a Sand goanna.

It is only a juvenile and that is why the markings are so vivid but if u look at >> e966id.jpg that picture is a adult sandy with faded marking and this next one is yet another Juvenile sandy in a tree with same marking including the 2 large tail strips that lace monitors dont have :)2922zyx.jpg and here is a picture of a juvenile lace monitor b6t5s2.jpg And the only reason it is up tree is because it was chased up there by my little sisters and then they came and got me to take a picture :)

the name sand monitor/goanna is used in australia by laymen to describe a few different species of Varanus, some include the lace in that

most of the sands (Varanus gouldii ) i have seen have not been as well marked as the one in photos

looks more like a lace (Varanus varius) in its defined markings, but then i am no expert

Sorry for confusion but it is definatly a Sand goanna.

It is only a juvenile and that is why the markings are so vivid but if u look at >> e966id.jpg that picture is a adult sandy with faded marking and this next one is yet another Juvenile sandy in a tree with same marking including the 2 large tail strips that lace monitors dont have :)2922zyx.jpg and here is a picture of a juvenile lace monitor b6t5s2.jpg And the only reason it is up tree is because it was chased up there by my little sisters and then they came and got me to take a picture :)

yea mate not trying to start a fight or anything, that last photo is a bells phase lace monitor or a broad banded lace monitor, so thats why it does not have the same markings. im 100% sure that the first pics are lace monitors but if think different thats fine.

http://images.google.co.nz/imgres?imgur ... r%26sa%3DG

Hey guys,

its a lacey (varanus varius). By the colour I'm guessing the pics were taken in Queensland in the northern part of their range. The last photo is also a lacey but is not a bells phase - hatchling colours.

If you want pics of sandys then google Varanus gouldii and Varanus panoptes. There are several (sub)species in this group collectively known as sand monitors.

the name sand monitor/goanna is used in australia by laymen to describe a few different species of Varanus, some include the lace in that

most of the sands (Varanus gouldii ) i have seen have not been as well marked as the one in photos

looks more like a lace (Varanus varius) in its defined markings, but then i am no expert

Thank you Livingart.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; LEARN YOUR LATIN!!!

Common names are just meaningless and confusing... :roll:

ok thanks for sorting that out yes pics where taken in queensland ill take ur word for it being a lace monitor dude only reason i thoought was sandy is coz my mates mum is vet nurse and was there when pic was taken and she said was... thanks for correcting me will make sure i check again and again before i open my mouth lol

ok thanks for sorting that out yes pics where taken in queensland ill take ur word for it being a lace monitor dude only reason i thoought was sandy is coz my mates mum is vet nurse and was there when pic was taken and she said was... thanks for correcting me will make sure i check again and again before i open my mouth lol

Its cool mate, wasn't trying to start and argument or anything

they are some cool photos

And my bad for saying that juvy was a bells :oops: