L255- Medusa Plec?

Dixon1990

They're very sensitive fish and require ZERO pollutants in the water. They come from fast flowing areas as evidenced by the horizontally compressed body shape so replicating these conditions in an aquarium is difficult, Keep up regular water changes and keeping them can be easy but miss a few and you could end up with some very expensive dead medusas.

RRP on them is $160-200 and I've had one go over $300 on auction.

yep still have two of them here ,did have 5 but the one i bought of AP wiped out three others even after two weeks Q but thats fishing i guess never did find the reason as the other two id had for a year but after combining them they lasted just a week

bought the two i still have now since then and like fireenenz said pretty sure they are both male but i like them anyway ,, prices can vary i have found

.........i guess never did find the reason

I've lost two medusas a year apart and I'm almost certain it was due to stress from dominance issues. They are delicate and die easily if they get stressed. If you change the dynamics of the tank, i.e. add more medusas or change the number of hiding places or the position of them after they've got used to it, then the dominant fish may hassle the others. That seems to be enough to lose a fish or two over a couple of days.

maybe i should up the anti i never realised theyre all tempromental, mine been living off bloodworms every other month lol jj but they dont get tht much maybe they eat baby guppies either way they look amzing every time i see them out but i think they need more food as they dnt seem to like the algae tablets, anyone got any tips for feeding these, i think theyre more a meat eater from what i read online ages ago?

even better a link to any info on breeding/recorded breedings would be great :hail:

Hey Mincie. How many do you have? The problems I've had were with 4 individuals in a large (Aqua one) 3 foot tank (high filtration Fluval 205 + fluval 3+ internal) and no other residents. In both cases I had four and shortly afterwards three. If you've only got a pair then I think you'd be fine.

Currently I have five in 2 groups. I'm also wondering what the best options is for feeding as well. They love bloodworms and will eat a home-made ox-heart based mixture, and at a pinch a home-made shrimp/vegetable mix. As for the Novopleco, Hikari algae wafers, zuchinni, etc. i'm not convinced. Any ideas???

maybe i should up the anti i never realised theyre all tempromental, mine been living off bloodworms every other month lol jj but they dont get tht much maybe they eat baby guppies either way they look amzing every time i see them out but i think they need more food as they dnt seem to like the algae tablets, anyone got any tips for feeding these, i think theyre more a meat eater from what i read online ages ago?

even better a link to any info on breeding/recorded breedings would be great :hail:

ive just gt a male & female suposibly, male been in cave fanning/pretending to alot over the past couple of months and female is always lerking near by especially once lights out. but yea ive been really slack ive had em a year or maybe more & havent done anything other than w/c's, chuck bloodworms and algae tabs (trumpet snails maul those) also had cories and guppies in tank until recently.

medusas still smallish, 2 maybe 3 inchs long & an inch wide.

Hi Firenzenz,

I brought them originally to try and breed them. However after losing my second one I'm just trying to keep them happy at the moment. They can be stressful to keep - especially if they ever develop pale blotches on the skin. To be honest I prefer my Panaques. Their far hardier and a pleasure to look after.

Well I've just noticed both your locality so I'd like to be the first to congratulate you on your joint breeding program.

Please put me 1st on the list for babies.

Yeah everything I read on these guys say they are carnivores and require twice as much protein as other bristles. So meaty diet with a chunk of zuccinhi a week. High oxygen content is needed, in fact they suggest RO systems, but current and airbubbles for sure. And 28-29 degrees.

Would be great to get these guys going

• 2 weeks later...

well i keep

L14

L27

L47

L128

L81

L25

So i do have a fair care on the up keep.

With the Medusa pleco they need a protein diet, this may consist of muscles, prawns or blood worms (and so on) This creates a major mess. Then add to the fact that they are a pleco and they are generally messy. This all adds up to poor water and fast. As they are delicate they need a constant and steady water peramaters. So daily water changes keep these in check. Just my opinon.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll increase the protein a bit in their diets.

They are certainly delicate and need very high water quality making them difficult to keep. They dont handle being stressed and seem to need their space when they start maturing. I have one female thats in very good nick and theres no doubt that shes a bully.

Unfortunately if they fight and one gets stressed and sulks they fall over easily. I think they need more space than some of the other plecs. Flash plecs for example live in wood piles in the wild and seem more happy to live in a group.

had my ups and downs with them. I've lost a couple and brought a couple more. Their challenging that's for sure and fairly stroppy. I've been away for several months overseas and are just starting to get back into it. A mate looked after your three while I was away for several months with mixed results but I now a small group including the fattest female I've seen and about 10 cm long.