July 21, 200818 yr comment_252865 I've just recently got 4 blue rams, but on a closer inspection, i've noticed that one looks different to the others (other than some having a red belly and some not) Is this one still a blue ram? its sparkly blue like the others (didn't show up in the pics) but has pattern all the way down its body. The one in question: One othe the others: the difference is mre subtle in real life, its just the continuance of the black thats the main difference. Report
July 21, 200818 yr comment_252877 the one at the bottom is like the blue rams I had. The one at the top is closer in looks to the rams I saw that were gold ram/blue ram crosses. Report
July 22, 200818 yr Author comment_253066 oh ok, so its probably not a hybrid? (in the sense of crossing 2 diff species) Report
July 22, 200818 yr comment_253079 This is one of my old ones, I thought it was my non-dominant Male, as he coloured up a bit more when i sold him. Report
July 23, 200818 yr comment_253379 what are the sex indicators for blue rams? ie easiest way to tell difference male vs female? Report
July 23, 200818 yr Author comment_253397 I've heard that if a female is of breeding age her tummy will be red. Not sure if there are any other differences Report
July 23, 200818 yr comment_253403 The females has a pink belly sometimes and slightly lower extensions on her dorsal fin. She is usually shorter and fuller. Her black spot on the side has blue spots in it and her tail is more rounded. After a look at a few it will easy to tell them apart. Report
July 24, 200818 yr comment_253420 cheers for that when i got mine I was told something different. basically the dull one was the female. So I bought what I thought was a pair. Since buying them the 'female' has really coloured up. Will check those other indicators mentioned above. Cheers Jade Report
July 27, 200818 yr comment_253994 Still not sure on this one - am thinking female Can anyone pick the sex? Report
July 27, 200818 yr comment_253998 The difference between the two is that the front bit of the top fin will stick up higher than the rest on the male - as in Dixons 2nd pic. With females it stays pretty much level. Yes the females tummy does colour up at breeding time. I would say 'female'. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.