Cichlid Aquascape Options

Aquatopia

Hi Folks,

This is the look I want to achieve (on a smaller scale).

Can anyone tell me if I might find this sort of rock in the wild in the Canterbury region (and where), or else, somewhere I can buy it cheap !?

rockscape.jpg

I kind of like this look too, but not sure yet;-

boulderscape.jpg

I have just bought some red rainbowfish (which i want as dither fish for a cichlid aquarium) so the aim is to have those, along with some smaller cichlids - preferably Tanganyikans.

Your thoughts would all be most welcome.

Cheers.

the rock is mountain shicst you shouls have plenty down there

Hi Doch,

Anywhere specific ? I live here but Im not actually familiar with the surroundings. I know there are mountains everywhere at least, but does it occur anywhere there are mountains ? Sorry - sounds lame, but I have forgotten all the geology I learned at school, :lol:

I agree it looks like schist to me, we have heaps of it down here, it comes in really awesome slabs, with the stepped look and you can also get flatter pieces... we have used it in our African setups to get a certain look and it is so easy to work with. Landscape suppliers normally have it often.... It is much cheaper to buy than slate etc....

hi Doch

where you get the photo of the first tank from? wouldnt mind specs on it.

ta :)

Hi - Doch didnt get the pics, I posted them. If I recall correctly it was on a cichlid site and was a winner of an annual competition. I will see if I can find it on my favourites and post the URL if I do.

In the first pic the rocks are greenstone . It can be found on any mountain or farm. I usaully pick up a few and bring them back . Great rocks for decoration.

UMMMMMMMM

What?

can be found on any mountain or farm?????????

what you smoking???? :wink::wink::wink: