Daltons Pumice mix

TM

Thats what i am trying to find out. :D

Its not as dence as gravel, so will help with overall weight may even help with the filtration as there would be a larger surface area for bacteria to grow on.

Also can't find any other good substrate without spending a heap.

Dont get me started on substrates, lol ! :( I believe seachem do a filter media that looks distinctly like small pumice pebbles, so you may well be right on the filtration aspect. Depending on what fish you have would it not be a bit harsh though ?

I dont see any problems with using it.

Daltons propergating sand contains pumice nd i have been using that for a few years now.

Try it out, and then let us know :lol:

May do, the only problem i see is that it will be light so may be able to get pushed around a bit by fish and current.

Just hope it will hold the aquatic mix down.

. Depending on what fish you have would it not be a bit harsh though ?

It is round in shape, pumice is a bit like sand paper i spose but there are other substrates that could be worse, really sharp edges etc.

Hi

It's is dredging from the Waikato river..Just a bit heaver grade than builders sand and yes when washing if before it dried some pumus will float and then sink..

Particals here are 1mm to 3.5mm if the same as came from the old tuakau sand co...But think the same stuff...

I have it in all 124 tanks with u/g filters and a ploy material over filter to stop leaking through..5mm thick..

Advantage...Fine ..great for filter growth..Fine ,,so food cannot enter the biggest killer of fish..Fine..Stops fry being lost in waikamo caves..

Warning...With this and many sands/gravels used the PH may very well drop to ever below 4 PH..A bit of sea shell can buffer and hold over time..

And a PH Meter is on special from dick smiths for about 77 dollars or there abouts...

Cheers Phill

Hi

It's is dredging from the Waikato river..Just a bit heaver grade than builders sand and yes when washing if before it dried some pumus will float and then sink..

Particals here are 1mm to 3.5mm if the same as came from the old tuakau sand co...But think the same stuff...

I have it in all 124 tanks with u/g filters and a ploy material over filter to stop leaking through..5mm thick..

Advantage...Fine ..great for filter growth..Fine ,,so food cannot enter the biggest killer of fish..Fine..Stops fry being lost in waikamo caves..

Warning...With this and many sands/gravels used the PH may very well drop to ever below 4 PH..A bit of sea shell can buffer and hold over time..

And a PH Meter is on special from dick smiths for about 77 dollars or there abouts...

Cheers Phill

Thanks Phil, that helps.

Will try to post a photo shortly

I use pumice and it looks great, the bristlenoses like it for digging their caves and the plants grow like mad

only problem i've had with it is the pH as new zealand discus man said and it gets sucked up the gravel vacuum and clogs the end

I like it

I use pumice and it looks great, the bristlenoses like it for digging their caves and the plants grow like mad

only problem i've had with it is the pH as new zealand discus man said and it gets sucked up the gravel vacuum and clogs the end

I like it

Do you have some pics of what it looks like in situ ? Cheers.

DSCF0430.jpg

(ignore the bluetac sculpture top right :oops: it was my flatmate)

I cant stop the plants growing :lol: the amazon swords go crazy i got the one in the pot as a little sucker thing growing on a stalk of a big plant a month later and it is huge and I have 4 seedlings that it sent out :D

Its good as the fry dont swim dont into the rocks and die, and any food that is missed stays on top of the pumice and gets found by BNs or fry - less food getting wasted

IMO its much better than the pebbles i have in my other tank

[

(ignore the bluetac sculpture top right :oops: it was my flatmate)

I cant stop the plants growing :lol: the amazon swords go crazy i got the one in the pot as a little sucker thing growing on a stalk of a big plant a month later and it is huge and I have 4 seedlings that it sent out :D

Its good as the fry dont swim dont into the rocks and die, and any food that is missed stays on top of the pumice and gets found by BNs or fry - less food getting wasted

IMO its much better than the pebbles i have in my other tank

Nice one that looks really good.

What grain size is it??

I've got Daltons Propogating Sand in my new 200l tank below, which is a mix of fine gravile and Pumice (2-4mm approx) It looks natural, and none of the pumice floats. There is also a really large piece of pumice with holes in as an ornament.

Whole-tank.jpg

My 130L community tank also has a pumice / stone mix, but a larger grade stone, and that also looks natural. It has been set up like this for 2 weeks, and the current PH reading is 6.7.

Whole-Tank-1.jpg

Hi

I just got into day a pair of ordinary kribs..Got chunk about 150mm x 120 thick and in two minutes made them a cave an while i was washing out there tank.{180L thats how i get many to breed as need zip done for months..}

They moved straight in to it..Drills easy with wood speed bits at a slow rpm and just move bit around in side and hollow out..Off to make a huge one for some yellow spotted pleco's im tring to breed....Phill

Hi

I just got into day a pair of ordinary kribs..Got chunk about 150mm x 120 thick and in two minutes made them a cave an while i was washing out there tank.{180L thats how i get many to breed as need zip done for months..}

They moved straight in to it..Drills easy with wood speed bits at a slow rpm and just move bit around in side and hollow out..Off to make a huge one for some yellow spotted pleco's im tring to breed....Phill

Phil, are you talking about pumice rock ? You drilled it out to make a cave ? Awesome :) How does it differ to TUFA rock ??

Couple of photos of the mix i got.

IMG_0268.jpg

Looks darker than it is.

IMG_0273.jpg

Setup in the tank.

Looks pretty good.

Down side to it is that it is quite light, this may be because there is still trapped air below. I am hopeing it will get better with time.

None floated to the top. There is also a fine mix of some other types of stone/gravel which are quite a nice contrast to the gravel.