Pump size for an 8 foot tank

burgo

Hi all,

I have been searching in the Local fish shops as well as on trade me and are uncertain what type of pump would service my new 2400x.49x.49. I can purchase a **Water Pump, King 4F which will pump 4800 L/Hr max head height is 4.5M which is selling for $169. Or I can purchase a Atman MP5500 Pump which will pump 5710 L/H, head height 3M. Cost $189.

Are either of these pumps suitable and if so which one. I only want to set this up once so it would be very much appreciated for all the knowledge out there to help solve my delema.

Cheers

Depends, what are you doing with the pump? Using it as a powerhead? Return from a sump? Closed loop pump?

Or are you calling a cannister filter a pump like many people do? In which case you're looking at totally the wrong thing?

I agree with supasi that for a return from a sump I'd go with two smaller usits. If thats what you're using the pump for (return to tank from sump for freshwater) you-ll want around 6-10 times turnover per hour at however high the head is. Your tank is around 575L, so you'll want something 3450-5750Lph at the height of the tank.

So, to really answer your question we need to know;

What are you using the pump for?

Fresh water or salt water?

How heavily stocked is the tank and what are you keeping in it?

How high is the head [if any]?

8)

Remember that alot of those pumps output reduces an awful lot at height.. The rated headheight you are quoting is the max the pump will pump any water at all you will find most pumps only pumping 1/4 or a 1/3rd of their actual rated output at that height.. Ask the seller for the output graph or google the pump numbers and you should find one.

Your tank is only going to have around 500L of water in it taking into account rocks etc so have you considered a canister? lol I guess that is down to personal preference and how the tank is setup etc.

Then in that case probably will want the King, even though its rated at lower flow with no head, it has a 50% higher head so it probably won't lose as much flow at the 1.5 meter ish he'll be running it at. So, probably come out ahead.

But, then again, either one will be heaps of flow, so if the Atman is the quieter one, probably worth it. I've never used either, all I use are Lagunas.

Hi,

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks farmchick for dropping the tank off. I felt like a kid in a candy store after it was put togethor. I keep looking at it to make sure it is real

Cheers

haha, you are more than welcome. Will you be spending ANY time in the house once its set up? :wink:

Hi there,

Rockerpeller is quite right quality every time.

Thing is quality comes at a price.

I use a king 4 to run my banks

not that noisy as in my shed.

Have a 250 l sump servicing 7 tanks and I still have to split the flow.

Header hieght is about 2 m.

Problem with pumps like this is having enuff water in the sump to forgive their "pull down" and then you have wicked flow in the tank and over your filter media. Which is not always ideal as its often nice to have slow flow over your media to optimise filtration.

Anyway happy to recommend the king but is slighty noisy

HTH

Navarre

Update: HELP

I have purchased an Atman 6500 pump which I have set up over the weekend and am unsure but feel that it is too powerful for the tank, if this is possible. I had to use 25mm hose to fit the outlet pipe into the top part of the sump and 18mm for the inlet pipe from the pump to the top of the tank. It seems to be working to well if there is such a thing. There is a huge amount of water pressure coming out of the inlet pipe into the tank. The pump is putting out more water then my garden hose can on full.

Should I go to a smaller pump???

Assuming you have enough extra flow capacity going from the tank to the sump, put some Ts in the hose from the tank and scatter the outlets around the tank. That way you you have the flow scattered around instead of in one concentrated blast. And aim them towards the sides of the tank.

Also put in a butterfly valve on your outlet from the sump so you can vary the flow a little and put in a tee with another butterfly valve on your outlet and a return pipe back to the inlet side of the sump returning some of the pessure back through the sump again, use the butterfly valve the adjust flow. I think that is a good pump for the job.