Smaller african cichlids

fins

Hey Logan, have you ever kept jewels?

I've recently invested in two pair.

Set them up in a divded tank,partion moved,

result,lost 25% of my jewels, and it's mate badly damaged.

Now recovered.

Not really what I'd call a friendly fish.

Alan

Hey

The tank is 45cm x 45cm x 170cm and holds 288 litres. The water will be normal tap water and tanks mates will be dwarf cichlids, rams, blue rams , golden rams and probably some killifish are compatable with the water conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Do yous have Altolamprologus either compressiceps or calvus,

or what about Julidochromis.

There are some Shell dwellers too like Neolamprologus ocellatus,

Neolamprologus have alot of species, lelupi, brichardi.....though like any cichlid if a pair bond occurs, they will want a territory.

Frenchy

There are some Altolamprologus compressiceps around, however they are not cheap - $30 ea would be a bargin price (I have seen some yello head ones for around $60 each).

Julidochromis are around more commonly and should be cheaper.

Quite a few shops seem to have brichardi, but I have never seen or heard of anyone having shell dwellers in NZ before.

Besides possible aggression problems this mix is not a good idea in terms of water chemistry either. Rams would prefer a neutral to acidic pH, while most africans should ideally be kept in alkaline conditions to be at their best.

In my opinion if you want africans it might be better if you setup a different tank (less issues and not as many comprimises required that way).

The price retail here on A.compressiceps here are about $30, Gold heads can be picked up for $35.. there are about 10 species/variants of Altos here ranging in price up to about $120 each.

I think $30 is a good price, try to raise fry. :-? Takes 6 months to grow the babies up to 3cm.

Cool fish the way they hunt pray. I feed guppy babies to mine.

Frenchy

• 2 weeks later...