HELP anenomie caught in pump

Sally J

Woke up this morning, found anenomie caught in pump, its shaft is ok, but tenticals abit "munted", I concern is now, will it have poisoned the tank?? I am going to do a big water change now, what else should I do?? I have heard that they do recover, do I have to remove him from the tank?? HELP :cry::cry::cry:

what type of anenome?

some recover, some don't

haven't had the problem myself, touch wood

others i have read about have had mixed results, haven't seen a reference to poisoning the tank

but a reference to fish attacking damaged parts

can you put it in sump or similar

hopefully someone with more experience will help

try googling the problem

good luck

My BTA managed to get a few tenticles caught up in a powerhead. I never actually saw it happen, but it had a large part of it which looked all munted. Fed it a couple of 1/2 shrimps and within 3 days it looked back to normal.

Like mentioned, I haven't heard of them polluting the tank if they get munched.

Thanks!! I,ve done a water change and the anenome looks like its suffered damage to half of his tenticals, hopefully he will recover. All other live stock looks ok at the moment. This is such a great site for help and information!!! I,ve got my foot in plaster so my Boss came round and helped carry buckets!!! Very handy BOSS!!!!

The only problem for the tank will be rotting bits of anemone, just keep an eye on the water for the next couple of days. The anemone itself should be okay but keep an eye on it too, if it dies (which well depend on how damaged it is) it will pollute the tank if you don't remove it fast enough.

Now the big question is why it ended up in the pump, anemones usually only start floating round (or even moving a lot) when they are unhappy, or have just been put into a tank and are finding their 'spot'. How long have you had the anemone? what type is it, what sort of flow, water parameters, lights etc?

Not sure what type but the original one split, so the one is OK and has stayed put, but the other one started to move around. I had a power head hidden in the rock, thats where he got caught. I,ve moved the pump now. I am going to move the reef tank (4ft) into my 6ft fish only tank, that will give them both abit more space. (when I;ve got two feet again!!!) I will keep an eye on it now, hope it survives. The fire clown has now chased my two clowns out of their anenomie, because he has lost his one!! The anenomie is brownie purple with green tips.

Now the big question is why it ended up in the pump, anemones usually only start floating round (or even moving a lot) when they are unhappy,

Very common problem with Anemoes. They go to places that you dont want them too. :D

what else should I do?? I have heard that they do recover

Most will recover if they are not to badly damaged, Also if they do get in pumps dont pull them out as you will damaged them more, just turn the pump off and they will move from the pump.

Anenome recovering well!! :lol: does anyone know why my alkalinity levels are so high?? Calcium stays at about 470ppm, but the alkalinity has risen from 3.2 last week to 8 this morning. Is this bad? everything looks fine in the tank.