water quality african ciclids

marto

Hi Everybody,

I am trying to get my aquarium water suitable for african ciclids.

Ph is 7.4 at the moment. Carbonate Hardness 3.( no fish yet)

I added crushed shell to the filter that increased the Ph from 6.4 to 7.4 and the carbon hardnesss to 3 over a period of a week, but it doesn't increase any further.

What levels should I be aiming at? I like to get the carbon hardness up to

get a more stable Ph. What is best to use?

Would love to hear your idea's

Sodium bicarb based buffer is good to use to increase. Well this is what we have used without problems, as long as used correctly 8) We run coral rubble in the canisters, and have marble chip or coral sand substrate in tanks.

For Africans, they appreciate an Alkalinity of 10-18 KH, GH of 12-20, and a pH of 7.8-8.5....

water quality should be good :)

PH and GH should both be high, however no need to go mental on it maybe 7.5+ should be fine..

Heres some reading for you..

lake article

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/l ... africa.php

Buffer

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

Reliable answers to pretty much everything you need to know can be found here but prepare to invest (or waste as my wife say's) a few hours into reading it all..

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/

Good luck glad to see more african keepers, what size tank have you got and what fish are you planning to stock with?

sorry smidey, filter substrate: some biological stuff as bio balls and ceramic tubes and crushed shell.

In the tank that fine pebble type gravel :( .

The buffer recipe should only be used when you really have to. You need to try to run the setup without any extra add-ons. Remove your biological stuff from your filter including the crushed shells as that slows down the water flow and fill your filter with dead coral and lime stone rubble and use that as media. Workout your tank water volume and times that with four (as a min) as water flow thro the filter system. A strong good Healthy water flow thro the dead coral and lime stone rubble will increase your pH. Your pH will be effected by the amount of fish you put into the tank.

That what I do with my setups with no add-ons with a water filtration of 7 turn over times.

The buffer recipe is a choice, here in HB the water we have huge problems with in regards to keeping africans really, we have a Ph of 7.5-7.8 and the KH is 3 or lower :-? We have found no amount of coral in the filter, or substrate buffers the water naturally enough and these are in huge Aquis 2400 canisters which huge water flow. This could be the case in other places too around NZ. If you know what you are doing with the buffers, then they are sweet to use. We run coral rubble in the external canisters, lime stone rocks, coral sand or marble chip and this does nothing in naturally buffering the water here.... so next step... buffer recipe, the fish love me for it 8)

call me bad, call me good,call me whateva, since i have been keeping africans (3 1/2 years)all i have done is use limestone rock and coral as cave building materials and scattered on the substrate.,all i know is our water comes out the tap at a ph of 6.8.this i know because billaney gave me an almighty wind up one day saying,how can you reset if you dont know what to reset too!.i don,t use any buffering mix at all.all the fish are happy as no major losses,cept for the odd bash.they have good colour and breed as africans do.all i do is weekly 20%water changes.they are hardy adaptable things very forgiving.as long as they seem happy and are thriving,don't worry.it's time to enjoy your fish

but in saying that i think i will do a full range of tests to satisfy my curiosity,will fill you in later

glenn

It comes down to personal preference in my opinion, I have found my fish do alot better since buffering our tap water... colour wise, alot more active. I would like to think I at least try and provide their requirements :D Not all of our tanks have been buffered in the past, some in the shed still aren't and I can definately see a difference.

Oh and on another note... I do notice that Tanganyikans appreciate it more so than Malawi species yet, they are more sensitive or have been in my opinion and do a hell of alot better buffered. JMF.

What species of fish are you looking at keeping marto? 8)

dohc Glad to hear the dem's are going well im sure the peacocks and yellows wont be too far behind :)

If your water change water has no kh or a low kh level in it then heaps of large water changes will change nothing :) Thats where the baking soda is helpful..

The best way is to have the media in the tank but if it doesn't work you can try other things, personally if it was over 7 and the fish were happy I would leave it its been ages since I even tested my ph and I don't add anything to my tanks everything is happy, have africans and even dwarf cichlids breeding in tap water.. All africans have a piece of limestone or some crushed coral in their tanks but don't know if it does anything should really calibrate the ph meter..

Thanks very much ,all of you. Our hobby is well alive and it's great to know that one can tap into all this experience. What I expected came through:

different opinions; what works for one doesn't work for others. Never mind with the reference to some very usefull articles I feel I can work something out.

Some fish I am planning to have: some electric yellows, sciaenochromis fryeri, possible aulonocara hansbenschi. Haven't made up my mind completely yet. Open for comments! Tank size: 240 ltr.

You are a great bunch.