Scum on Surface of water

yeeahboy

I have a thin layer of scum on surface of water which when disturbed the scum starts sinking and make water look bad.

Causing this scum could be any of the following:

1. I have a filter which doesn't disturb water surface, therefore letting bad stuff settle

2. I have been double dosing with flourish excel

3. i grow plants, so it could be some kind of algae

Any 1 had a similar problem, is it just a matter of disturbing surface?

You can get an oily surface from high phosphates in the fish food (or if you are feeding salmon pellets or similar). Try lying a paper towel flat on the surface to absorb it.

Having the filter return break up the water surface will also help.

I don't know if Flourish Excel has an effect.

I always disturb the water surface in my tanks, even when I was injecting CO2, otherwise I had this scum build up as well. Doesn't need to be a roaring rapid, just so the water doesn't sit still. To see if its moving drop in a leaf, and watch its movement, no matter where you put it it should move slowly.

had this problem and it persisted even when I increased the flow on the surface. In the end I got a cannister intake that skims the surface and has the usual intake as well - One of the members on the forum helped me out as the NZ versions are pretty pricey.

I found it to be a real frustration - cut back feeding and increased water changes along with more surface agitation but still got it... imo the surface intake works a charm

good luck!