Power savings from insulating top, back and sides

dwalk

It's the end of week 3, and here is a summary of what power savings were made from insulating the test tank.

Week#___Insulation__________ Avg nite____Avg Day____Power

___________________________Temp_______Temp______Used

1________None______________6.7________14.4________18.6 kwh

2________Back and Sides______2.7________14.9________14 kwh

3________Top, Back+ Sides____6.7________13.7________13 kwh

This week (#3) the tank was insulated top, back and sides, and I was expecting a reasonable increase from the previous week, but it was not to be . Using 13 kwh, there was only a 5% increase of savings from the previous week. I suspect that there may be more heat lost from the sides, as that is what the water touches.

Week 2 had a power saving of 24% over uninsulated week 1

Week 3 had a power sawing of 30% over uninsulated week 1

From this data i've now started insulating my other tanks. A 30% saving sounds good to me.

is the tank a square one? i.e no rounded corners? does t have a lid/hood?

The tank has a glass lid, which is now covered with Poly, apart from a 45cmx15cm cut out for the lights

Yes, the tank has rounded corners at the front, but as my side insulation comes right up to it I can't see how it would make a difference.

Week 2 had a power saving of 24% over uninsulated week 1

Week 3 had a power sawing of 30% over uninsulated week 1

From this data i've now started insulating my other tanks. A 30% saving sounds good to me.

Well I'm convinced! Looks like it's off to the shop for some poly.

BTW: brrrr for week two overnight! I hope you had a hot water bottle handy!

Hmmm, I'd have thought anyone that could read could figure it out. :P Or are the instructions in chinese? Mine's easy. Pull the little plastic strip out of the battery compartment to power it up then plug it in, plug what you want to measure into it. Then just hit function to scroll through the different readouts.

:bounce: :bounce: Thanks for sharing this! I'm all for power saving by poly! :bounce:

In the Hutt Valley there is a great polystyrene shop ( big label on front - "POLY" on Pharazyn St, just along from the Pet Vet. I got sheets of poly there roughly cut to size, for a few dollars. They have all shapes and sizes too.

Now to do all the other tanks! :lol:

so paranoid about the expense of runnin a tank :roll:

sell off a few fish to cover costs

I'll have some Elec Yellow Cichlids to sell soon, but yes, i am a little worried about the cost of heating tanks. i got a rather large bill, and have to be a little more rational about what i but, MTS rulz, but it can hurt the pocket too.

I intend to remove a community tank, and upsize my Cichlid tank (to 6ft) so are looking at Tank, filter and power costs for it.

Mine are in an unheated garage and it's estimated they're costing over $200 a month. I don't have many tanks either. A lot of money goes in to running them, and I have other projects that need money as well as living expenses.

Because of this living situation I do not have any big tanks (biggest are 4ft x 1.5ft x 1.75ft). For an indoor 6ft tank, I doubt the expenses would blow your budget unless you're the kind of person who is digging for coins to buy milk at the end of the week. There will be a hike in the power bill, but if its in a warm room it shouldn't be too dramatic. If it's indoors for display, I wouldn't insulate more than just the back unless its in a cabinet or something.

You guys need to up size and save some money! Fewer, bigger tanks must be the way to go. My tanks about 800liter and has 800w of light going most of the day, 400w of pumps going 24/7 and the total power bill is well under $200 a month. And people say marine tanks are expensive!

Unheated garage is why mine is expensive. It's a double garage that we park the car in, not a fishroom/garage. Often in winter 300W wasn't enough to keep a 200L tank above 24C

What you need is a couple of 400w lights on that tank to keep it warm!

At least heating the tanks inside also helps heat the room.