Jewels and other fish

BlueMoon

If the Oto's went anywhere near the Jewel eggs, his life expectancy would drop to about 5 seconds.

Jewels (in my experience) are very good parents, and will defend a large area of territory, and have no qualms about biting. When removing babies myself, my Jewels would attack my hands.

If the Oto's went anywhere near the Jewel eggs, his life expectancy would drop to about 5 seconds.

Jewels (in my experience) are very good parents, and will defend a large area of territory, and have no qualms about biting. When removing babies myself, my Jewels would attack my hands.

Yep ours do the same, tho they only seem to chase other fish away, and unless they are protecting their eggs they are qutie peacefull

You mean your jewels pick off some of their own young?

Yip! there's probably about 30 or so in what used to be a "community" tank, i know jewels arent reccomended for a comunity tank because of their nature but ours have always been fine!

my pair are in a 160L tank on their own.

We use rain water so the water is soft and slightly acidic which I have read is perfect for them.

So hopefully will have some fry in awhile :D

They still hiding but ill try coax them out with some live white worms tonight as Im sure they will be getting hungry!

STUNNING FISH! Thanks Fish and Chips!

Afrikan wrote:

You mean your jewels pick off some of their own young?

Yip! there's probably about 30 or so in what used to be a "community" tank, i know jewels arent reccomended for a comunity tank because of their nature but ours have always been fine!

They are usually very good parents, so I doubt they will pick off their own young if they are mother and father of the year... :lol:

really? I am trying to get hold of some Java Fern as my lighting is not really great in that tank as it's quite deep. So all the plants i had in their carked it.

If I look into the cave from the front they will spazz out and go crashing into the glass :cry: so i think they are scared.....