will BN use cave

I have a male BN that I'm planning on breeding when I get my female and have made him a cave. It's a pot with a hole cut in it then turned upside down. He sometimes uses it but he'll usually go in for a while and then comes out. I was wondering when I get a female will he use the cave more or does he just not really like? Do they usually use caves when there just on their own?

They like caves with only one entrance, and ones that feel cosy rather than big are preferred. I use hollow pieces of wood etc. Big bits of bamboo cut up is great for this. They will use pots etc, and once settled in they'll happily lay eggs in there, but I've found if they're made of wood, its harder to get them out than it is to get them in :)

Mine usually go straight to their cave or a cave and settle in quickly. They still come out to eat, and bother other males (mine do that). You know it's near breeding time when the female is fat and round, and starts hanging out by his cave entrance (but she wont be allowed in until he's ready hehe)

I';m just going to try it with the pot and if they don't breed I'll make different types of cave and if they do then I won't (because it's easier to have a single pot that lots of different things.) I'm going to lfs to see if they have a female BN. Anyone know if hutt pets has one?

I seen people use pvc pipe I think thats what its called , not sure if they breed in them.

I seen a couple on the glass when i was at hutt pets today were decent size but didnt really take notice to what type they were or the sex of them.

I seen people use pvc pipe I think thats what its called , not sure if they breed in them.

I seen a couple on the glass when i was at hutt pets today were decent size but didnt really take notice to what type they were or the sex of them.

PVC tubes work well too, just want to try and block off one end if possible.

I have at least 5 adult males and 2 females. I never noticed any of the females change shape but I now have lots of BN fry zipping about and have no idea who did the deed, or where :-?

Very heavily planted tank with large bits of driftwood in it.

I got our club members to count them at the meeting to prove I had over 10 (they are over a month old) so I will register them with the breeding scheme 8)

Just got back from hutt pets and managed to find a female (they had 2 smaller ones for $20ea and a big one for $25) so I got the big one as she looked pretty full of eggs so fingers crossed. She's 8.5cms long and he's 9cms long so they're a decent size. I hope she can fit through the hole in the pot I made :lol:

lol i got my bristlenoses to breed in a cut in half terracotta pot.

im not 100% sure they have eggs in their as i cant see in but the male's in the cave all the time, only emerging once in a while to feed.

this has been going on for about 2 weeks so I hope soon the fry will come out :D

how long do you think a 5cm bn would take to grow to 7cms? I have 1 female but heard they breed better in trios and don't really want to spend another $25 on another one.

when i drop the courgette into the tank it usually lands near the entrance to the cave and I should have said before that, he doesnt come out to feed but when i see him he rushes to the entrance but then rushes just as fast back inside...

possibly to try and scare of the female who rushes to the food as soon as it lands?