Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lighting recommendation

Featured Replies

I bought this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =160250364

but still had no contact from PP/OA and getting sick of waiting (yeah I am impatient to get it cos I could have just bought one on sale at HFF last weekend) so am thinking of buying this...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 443030.htm

My tank lighting is a little blah. I currently have one white tube only but everything looks pretty yellowish and yuck. I am looking for a brilliant white light.

Any advice? Are the lights about the same?

Mods: I am assuming it is ok to post TM links here because I am asking for advice on the suitability of these items?

Either get T5 or T5HO (expensive or DIY), or the PL stuff.

PL may be a pain in the ass because of the bulbs, BUT it is equivilent to T5 (so I'm told).

T8 lighting is just bleh and not intense enough. I use T8 in most my tanks, and plant growth is average to say the least.

For a bright white, you can try using PowerGlo tubes, I find a pair of these (T5 or T8 ) makes tanks look really good, and the spikes in the spectrum allow for even better plant growth.

Other options are the regular cheap 6500K Daylight tubes, they are a bright white. Most light fittings come with 6500-7000 kelvin lights standard. If you want something even more white (almost blue), try a 10,000 kelvin bulb as used on marine setups ;) More people are starting to use the higher kelvin bulbs, and love the way it makes their fish colours look so vibrant.

Some things to think about there anyway.

Oh and T5 are the really thin tubes, T8 are normal tubes, T12 are huge really thick ones you might find in an old garage somewhere. PL are T5 lights twisted in half and have a single connector.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.