HELP PLEASE!!! POSSIBLE FIN ROT ON MY GUPPIES TAILS

tracytrout

:(:( I bought some guppies privately about a week ago and noticed their tails only had what I thought was fin rot or possible nipping from the tank they came from so have tried treating with Aqua Clear Conditioner with very diluted tonic salt. They seem to be very happy in their new home as they're swimming round madly...Phew!! Am I on the right track? If not what should I try please? If I'm on the right track how long should it take for their tails to grow back? :-?

Yeah a small amount of meth blue is good, but don't make the tank go deep blue with it. It stains everything and you need carbon to get it back out! I refuse to use it at all anymore because of its dye nature. Personally I wouldn't put a single drop of meth blue in until you're sure its effecting multiple fish and spreading in the tank .

Sounds like what you've already done is best. I'd leave it at that unless you see the problem getting worse. Tonic salt is great for that type of stuff, especially for livebearers.

Spidersweb

I use it whenever I suspect any fungus type of thing and as mentioned put 1 tsp in a 600 x 300 x 300 tank. That makes the tank very blue but any problems are fixed within 12 hours. I then find that the blue dissappares over the next week although I will often do 2 20% water changes in that time.

I have never nothiced any staining though but I have bear bottom tanks with oly fish, java moss and floating plants

:-? Their tails haven't got any worse, phewww, but how long should they take to grow back as there has been minimal regrowth? I had a similar problem with goldfish a while back and after treatment their tails and fins had grown back within about a week to 10 days? ...reckon patience is a virtue I'm learning very quickly :wink: