Regenerating Tanks

Mad Whip

Hi all,

I'm going to have a go at letting my fish breed naturally in my main tank with out removing the females and stripping them. Any thoughts on this idea? I realize that some fry will be eaten but I have many small cracks and caves so I expect some to make it. How many? My main concern is for the females will this cause too much stress on them?

Here is a list of my species and a poor quality pic of my250l tank. You can see all the rock work.

Pseudotropheus estherae Red Zebra 3

Melanochromis auratus 5

Pseudotropheus crabro Bumble bee 4

Labidochromis caeruleus Electric yellow 6

Pseudotropheus Greshakei Ice Blue Zebra 3

Melanochromis johannii 2

Maylandia callainos Cobolt Blue 5

aulonocara hueseri Mid night Peacock 1

aulonocara maleri Sunshine Peacock 3 but still fry

1791680544a8046054866l.jpg

Females should cope just fine if they have somewhere to hide just keep an eye on them, also watch their condition some of them struggle to pick it back up after holding full term..

My main concern will be hybrids..

Your peacocks will crossbreed (also where did you get "hueseri Mid night Peacock's" from?)

All your mbuna will also cross breed and produce hybrids so yes you will have babies survive probably not many but they will be hybrids so probably not worth having survive..

Yeah the condition of females with holding too long would be the main concern, and then the hybridization as ryan said.. If you plan on having them breed in a mixed tank then be sure to expect some crossing, this could well happen.

The condition of your females is crucial if they are to be left in a setup for continual breeding... I had female Jacobs that were constant breeders, I would remove the females to strip, put them back to condition again and arggh back with a gob full again... they did lose condition with this happening...

I thought only the Ice blue and the Cobolt blue would have been the only risk of hybrid from the Mbuna. And I knew not to raise any Peacock fry from a mixed tank. I guess its a good thing I have 2 four foot tanks I will just have to carry on catching them befor breeding. So I can grow out my future stock. I just wanted a simple way of freeing up the other tank :wink:

The peacocks are a give in..

All mbuna will cross breed given half a chance (ie being put in the same tank) the most likely are the auratus and johannii (same family), and the red zebs, cobalts, ice blues again same family :) Basically mbuna are mongrouls if you have a big male he will try and breed with all and any females he can..

Best idea is to setup one breeding tank and one grow out tank (divided if needed to house different generations..) that way you know whats up..