Re-introducing parents to tank...

1/2waysgood

Okay, so here's the prob. As some of you know (or not!), I had a heap of keyhole cichlids - first time successfully bred. All the other fish were removed from the tank, making it a species tank, and a great looking one too. ANYWAY, managed to get rid of all but 10 of the babies and decided to reintroduce the other fish to the tank. As far as I know, I went about it the right way.

I removed the parent keyholes, putting them in their own tank for 2 hours. I also planted some new plants in the aqaurium and changed around the look of everything. Then, I put the other fish in (pleco, rosy-barbs, cherry barb) and after waiting what seemed an age, put the parents back in. Everything was well, for a while.....

All the smaller fish were having a great time playing in the current and checking out the new 'surroundings' but once the parents adjusted again, they just went nasty.(The parents) I (somehow) managed to remove the male keyhole and put him in a tank of his own but within 18 hours, he was on his side and fighting for life. (I wasn't here at the time, but was told.) The female at this stage, had calmed down and was almost kind to the other fish. Once the male was put BACK in the main tank and came right, both parents were again acting aggressively. They are even picking on their own babies.

Soooooo, my question is "Now what?". Do I, um, what? There is no chance of putting the adults in a separate tank, as the next size I have is only a 28L. Does anyone know of a way to stop this pair from being nasty or am I being ridiculous to think so? Would they be ready for another breed? Do I get rid of them? Do I send them to the fish afterlife for the sake of my other fish? HELP!

(Okay, it's been a bit of a rant, but geez! These fish are beautiful but I don't won't to risk the rest of the tank, including the lovely siamese fighter being ripped to shreds.) Any advice is HIGHLY invited! ! ! ! :o

I don't supposed you could find something to put them in overnight with a divider in between the two of them? So they are away from your other fish, yet at the same time away from each other also, dividers can work well if there is trouble on the horizon between a pair of cichlids...

Generally pairs of cichlids are agressive and terriotorial.. Its just part of the package, they claim a certain amount of space as their's to breed in and live in its just nature..

All other fish of the same type are a threat and rivals (even their own babies once they reach a certain size).

The only ways I can see for harmony is to seperate your pair or keep them in their own tank so they can have it all to themselves.

Hope that helps and im glad you have bred them they are cool fish :)

Bahhh, it's getting obviously too late for this old bag... I thought I had read that they were being naughty with each other also haha... I don't suppose you could then keep them in the existing tank and divide some of that particular tank off with something suitable, to keep them away from the other tank mates.. long term you might want to do as ryan suggests and get them their own abode 8)

I have the same problems with my keyholes as I was telling you lol . I am allowed to have guppies in there as they mostly as the top and clown loaches and kuhies but no other fish, Added a couple of sharks and no way would they allow it have tried with other top fish as well but wont allow them either but for some reason don't mind the guppies.

*sigh* These fish are becoming more of a problem than a hobby!

Just watching them now, and they're DEFINATELY in charge of the tank front! I guess that if worse comes to worst, I'll need to get rid of the adults. As I said, no way that they can be in a smaller tank. And the divider thing is out of the question. (As is the larger tank. ARGH!) :x

(Sorry Mitzy, if having all those babies is making you re-think!!!!)

*sigh* These fish are becoming more of a problem than a hobby!

Just watching them now, and they're DEFINATELY in charge of the tank front! I guess that if worse comes to worst, I'll need to get rid of the adults. As I said, no way that they can be in a smaller tank. And the divider thing is out of the question. (As is the larger tank. ARGH!) :x

(Sorry Mitzy, if having all those babies is making you re-think!!!!)

Na its not the babies lol its the adults lol

They are a beautiful little cichlid and neat to see that someone has bred them/breeding them, well worth another tank me thinks ;) :lol: :D

Being a cichlid, and being a pair, certainly meant trouble from the beginning, well trouble for the tank mates :o:) :lol:

They are a beautiful little cichlid and neat to see that someone has bred them/breeding them, well worth another tank me thinks ;) :lol: :D

Being a cichlid, and being a pair, certainly meant trouble from the beginning, well trouble for the tank mates :o:) :lol:

I agree they are beautiful and full of spark. My male adult only became nasty when he got a female and she was not nasty to start with but it must be catchy cause they both are now lol

What gives? Male egotism? But in saying that, I think the female is the worst of the pair..... I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and either get a new tank asap, OR, get rid of the fish, OR, try the smaller tank thing, not that I think it's best, judging on what the male keyhole did. *sigh* :oops:

Anymore options avaliable?

Don't Think i would go smaller as they need there space as greedy as they are. You could try having kulie loaches and clown loaches as mine are fine with them and some pretty guppies so the tank don't look to empty. :D

Yup. Have them in another tank but that's not 'mine'. Have seriously considered it though for my tank.. I REALLY need a larger tank, but I'm only thinking 180-230 at the mo.

Oh no! They're giving Pecker edit-mod! (er, I mean the plecotomus....) And yes, I do name my fish.....

So you introduced other fish into a cichlid species tank. Why are you surprised that the fish are acting naturally, true to form?

When i google these fish to find out info on them,they are meant to be peaceful and are not aggro even when breeding.They are not meant for the more aggressive tank mates.They are said to be gental and timed.What have you girls done to them. :lol: :lol:

Thanks Mumsy. That's my point (one of them). And if the fish are made to believe that they are in a NEW environment, surely they shouldn't be so aggro because other fish have the territory first?

Argh. I could puzzle over this all day but I'm not a fish shrink. I guess it's off to the pet ship to buy another tank tomorrow!

Don't always believe what google finds that is for real, there is so much conflicting info across the web :lol:

All in all a cichlid is a cichlid... no matter how peaceful a cichlid may be, towards each other through spawning... towards their babies raising them.... they will always get agro when it comes to defending their young... Keyholes are relatively peaceful but they are only doing as VM said, protecting their brood.. it's natural.

You don't really have any other option than to find them a new home or get yourself a new tank, if you are planning on keeping the pair.

They don't see it that your other tankmates had the territory first, they will see "oh we have a breeding ground... this needs to be our territory so look out".. fair enough :wink::)

Hmmm. Many great points and suggestions. I have come to the conclussion that for the harmony of the tank, I need to get rid of the adults. Not the greatest thing to do but really, there is no other option. The idea of putting the babies into the 28L tank is great, but I heard somewhere that many cichlids should be kept in tanks no smaller than 100L. Or would that be a matter of relying too much on the web again? :-?