Driftwood moved

I was feeding my 4 Japanese fire bellied newts this morning and had got used to small black bits of driftwood sitting on the bottom but today one moved and when I had finished demolishing the place I had 58 babies of various sizes. How good is that? I was hoping they would breed in the Spring but obviously they couldn't wait.

I have put them in another tank (good excuse ) with a large rock in it and a bare bottom so I can feed them up and they can come out of the water when they metamorphose. Since then I have only briefly seen one. They are all under the rock and I have yet to buy a round the corner camera.

I can't claim to have done much. I planted the water area out heavily just in case and it paid off. They range in size from small tadpoles to fully developed legs so either they grow at different rates or there was a number of different lots of eggs. How inclined are the adults to eat the young or the big offspring to eat the small? There doesn't seem to be limbs missing like you get with axis.