Algae: Red/Black/Brush/Beard/Rhytophyta

Dark

Black Brush Algae, BBA.

Pain in the #*$&, i could tell you, but you all probably have experienced it in one way or another.

I have seen some really nice set-ups that use it to great visual potential, however in my tank it is evil, i hate it and it must, frankly, die.

So we resort to fish that eat it:

SAEs eat it, although I have some speculation (due to reading to much net-media) that they only eat it when it when not fed more delectable substances. Perhaps a chance to take, the other fish in this tank can survive for at least a week without food.

The problem now arises when trying to source SAEs

(For those playing the game at home, the infamous SAE is the Siamese Algae Eater; Crossocheilus siamensis)

Most places sell C. siamensis as 'Flying Fox' or 'Black Line Flying Fox' which, unless they got the 'English Name' wrong is actually Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus, a close relative who does not like to eat BBA.

Because i don't really want to risk spend $50 on (4) fish that may not do the task assigned to them, another resourt must be opted for.

Many articles suggest bleaching or chloraxing logs, equipment, and some even suggest doing this to the plants.

Raise the lighting and the nitrogen, plants will out-compete the algae (an age old remedy for any algae really). This does not seem to be having much effect.

BBA does not like high Copper concentrations. I can easily add copper by throwing a few handfuls of copper into my cannister filter. My main concern is what effect high(ish) Cu concentrations will have on the other plants and fish. Apparently Val does not like it (i have met few things that do, humans included) along with other similar plants, Although Crypts and Swords don't seem to care.

There is also extensive discussion regarding its control/termination by raising the nitrate levels in the tank. The theory being that plants use nitrate and phosphate to grow, whilst red algae likes to eat phosphates.

If the nitrates are too low plants stop growing, stop using phosphates, and BOOM its everywhere.

Im interested to know what other people think of this interesting little predicament, any experiences etc.

Oh, and if anyone knows a cheap source of (real) SAEs i'll love you forever.

i can send you a sample if you would like to have it take over your tank!

I have a theory that it can also use excess iron and silicates in the tank and the heat from the thermostat, to make itself a mechanoid army of amphibious algal dispersers.

I haven't had any trouble getting hold of SAE's, though they're always labelled as black line flying foxes.

I've tried the bleach or boiling water treatment (obviously not on plants) and that went well - mainly because the bristlenoses loved it after these treatments (yeah I was lazy - just took the wood out the tank, treated and then put it back in the tank - no scrubbing).

The Seachem product Flourish Excel has a side effect of killing BBA (a gradual process not instant)

For a tank where BBA is already established I'd go for a two pronged approach of bleaching wood/rocks, removing worst affected plant leaves and getting SAE's - SAE's seem to keep it in check quite nicely (if there isn't much in the tank to start with) but I haven't found them as effective at putting a significant dent in a well established meadow.

does anyone have a chemical breakdown of flourish excel? might be able to concoct something similar.

most of the BBA is on plants, i will be cutting it all out this weekend - it is not going to look pretty!

SAEs are about $10 each - does anyone have any spare or breeding? i'm interested in getting some but not terribly interested in paying store prices for them.

i had a terrible outbreak off bba in my chiclid tank and a initiall dose of twice the labelled amount of flourish excell and then a dose every 3 days had it without a trace of the ugly stuff to be seen

my wife did comment on the lovely reds the bba went as it was dying as well

I have had a big bad outbreak of BBA and I was recommended by the guys and gals at Hollywoods to use Florish Excel to get rid of the stuff. It does work but unfortunately it took a couple of the big bottles ($37.00 per bottle) to get rid of the BBA. then again it was everywhere on the plants, ornaments. side of the tank. but then again I don't have anymore BBA.

• 1 month later...

I had BBA in my 190 litre community tank.

I have heard a few horror stories about BBA so I trimmed all of the affected plants and everything looked very barren but good for a while but it came back with avengance.

I receintly used Flourish Excell at double the on label rate and after a week the BBA started turning a nice red colour, a week later it turned grey and a week after that I can no longer see it.

As a bonus the plants in my tank are looking better for using Flourish Excell as well.

I have heard that Siamese Algae Eater - Crossocheilus siamensis consume BBA so I have ordered one to help keep BBA out of my tank in the future.