Update A heating & Insulation Experiment.

dwalk

Being mildly worried about the cost of running 6 tanks around my house, I'm running an experiment on my Community tank.

What i'm doing is comparing power usage for 1 weeks power with different insulation each week for the next 4 weeks.

Week 1: No insulation

Week 2: 12mm Polystyrene on 3 sides, not inc top

Week 3: 12mm polystyrene on 3 sides, inc top around lights

Week 4: 12mm all around except front during the day / evening.

The Test Tank

130L community tank, 5 Dwarf Gourami, 5 Striata Loaches. 5 Tiger Barbs, 4 GBA (young), 1 SAE, 3 BN, 1 Plec, 1 Siamese fighter

Filter: Fluval 205, cleaned weekly for duration of test.

Heater: Jager 150w, 25 Degree temp

Lights: Two 15 watt tubes, on a timer for 8 hours a day.

I'll post a pic later this week of this tank, and a new photo of tank with each insulation setup.

Any tips or ideas let me know and i'll try and include them

Sounds interesting i must admit it has been worrying me as to how much my power will chute up,if i increase my tanks.My last power bill nearly made me sick.But im in desperate need to increase as it is holding me back from breeding.Will look forward to updates

To be truly accurate I would, however, I couldn't use the ambient temp data in any real meaningful way. I decided that over a week the temp would be close enough on average for me not to worry about it, esp over 4 consecutive weeks.

I could do a 5th week without insulation, and take an average over the 1st and last week to give me an uninsulated average week

My other option would be to run a heater in the lounge on a low setting, but i'm trying to save money right now.

I'm using a meter from bunnings. What it measures compared to what an appliance is rated at matches up nicely. 18watt filter draws 18watts on the meter. Since i'm using the same meter all through the test, any comparisons in percent should be reasonably accurate

The weeks power usage.

Well it's the end of the first week, and I've just installed the 15mm polystyrene on the back and ends of the tank.

According to the power meter, my tank used 18.6 kwh over the last seven days, inc lights and filter. Subtracting lights and filter, (2.52kwh week) I used 16.08 Kwh of power to heat my tank.

This sounds a little high, but could be right. Anyway, since it's the same meter on the same tank setup, (apart from the insulation) as a comparison week to week it will be accurate enough.

The Test Tank

130L community tank, 5 Dwarf Gourami, 5 Striata Loaches. 5 Tiger Barbs, 4 GBA (young), 1 SAE, 3 BN, 1 Plec, 1 Siamese fighter

Filter: Fluval 205, cleaned weekly for duration of test.

Heater: Jager 150w, 25 Degree temp

Lights: Two 15 watt tubes, on a timer for 8 hours a day.