Heater or chiller?

derwent

Hey I'm very new to the forum and was wonder if I need a heater or chiller or both?

I'm in the planning stage only at the moment and so far I'd like to have a 1220x450x450 about 247L tank and would probably go reef so I'd have some pretty powerful lights.

The temp in Napier in winter can get to around freezing and the summer midday's are 30 degrees or more :-? Thanks in advance.

Derwent.

hi derwent

have you read through the sticky on marines at the top of the saltwater forum

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/basic- ... 23675.html

reef tank will require a heater all year round with a chiller during the hottest months, there are other ways of lowering the temp also such as small fans

others should add to this for you

I wouldn't buy a chiller at the outset, just allow for one in case you need it later on. I don't have one on my tank, the temp has never been over 30 degrees which is fine for short periods.

What you should buy is a temperature controller, this will cost you round $100-$150 will turn on heaters and fans/chiller.

To throw in something else, if I was going to start buying equipment again I'd be having a good look at getting a computer controller, by the time you add up the costs of timers, Ph controllers, top up, temp controllers, etc etc the control computer don't cost much more but appear to work so much better.

Throw everything you have now into one thing, make it something expensive or important like the tank itself or the chiller.

Once you have it and it's sitting in your room and your living room, you'll just need to add to it and by hook or by crook you will. I've tried it both ways, saving up for a long time, buying everything at once. Or buying a couple things at a time. Saving up never works because the money ends up going somewhere else hehe

So yea trust me just throw a bunch of money at something and it'll magically add on from there

We have a small marine tank - 108l - heater is essential, but we do not have a chiller.

We run a 150w MH for lights, but the tank is in a basement office where the temperature is quite stable and the tank doesn't get over 30 deg during the height of summer - and we've had a couple of scorcher days this year.

You could consider an air conditioner for your house if it doesn't already have one, then you can keep nice and cool during the summer as well as your fish!