Bristle Nose keep dying

sweston

I have got Tiger Barbs * 5, Tetra's * 3, some Chinese thingys (can't remember the name) *2 and Cat Fish *2. They are all doing fine. The Tiger Barbs have really grown.

Keep putting bristle nose in and they last 2-3 days that die. One has lasted several weeks but called it quits yesterday.

Plenty of algae to eat ! also some drift wood.

What am I doing wrong.

The tank is about 100 litres.

:cry:

This has happened to me once. One dyed from getting its head caught under a stone. And another 3 climbed into my hang on filter died and then floated back into my tank. Maybe this is the problem if you have a hang on filter?

Hmmmm wish I could help you. Mine breed like fly's. Only thing I can think of is that I lost a few at the start, but then the problem came right. I am wondering if they don't like new tank set ups. Maybe the tanks need to be well cycled before you put them in. Also they love to have heaps of places to hide.

Hmmm,,, bristles are so tough you can't kill them with a hammer. Howbig are the fish you are trying ??? if they are under 3 cm SL (don't measure the tail) leave them well alone !! Small bristles do NOT transfer well. Secondly do a slow change over. I never put new fish into my water in less than 24 hours. Small aditions to the water they came in till they are almost 100% the water they are going into. A pain in the butt, but when you are playing with expensive fish ??? Just floating the bag to equalise temp is a load of crock! Water is more important than temp !!!

Alan

I haven't had much luck with bristlenoses either. I bought like 14 of them, most about an inch and a half or so and within about 3 months they'd all died.:( Having better luck with the last batch though. I think I've only lost 1-2.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I was getting small (certainly less than 3 cm) ones from Hollywood here in Albany. The tank has been set up about 2 months now. After the last BN died I though check the filter, man was it full of gunk. Have rinsed it in tank water and put it put back on (its a Fluval 303).

Go for broke, just put a large red spot in and it seem's to be fine so far.