Apple Snails?

bedazzled

I got an Apple snail at the LFS today and on doing some research I thought it was "Pomacea bridgesi" which pleased me as they are not meant to eat the plants but then I searched this site and found that some one who was breeding them thought the yellow ones readliy available in pet stores were "Pomacea canaliculata", the thread I found was from way back in 2002.

Does any one here know anything about these? I have it in a seperate tank at the mo but thought I may try putting it in my community tank to clear up some algae but I do not want to get up in the morning to all my plants looking like stalks lol

TIA

I got some of my mum and she had java fern in here tank and they didnt touch it then when she gave me them i thought i would put some in there tank within mins my java fern was just a stalk.

I used to give them bottom pills within seconds they were gone lol

I can only go by what the guy at my LFS says (more than 20yrs experience) and what I've seen of their behaviour:

Yellow apple snails = plant murderers

Brown apple snails = plant friendly (unless really hungry)

Thanks for the replies guys :D

I really wanted it to clean up any extra food in the fry tank I have just set up but I think I should really have gotten a smaller type of snail lol

He is a messy bugger!! poo every where almost instantly!!!

I decided to test it out and out him in my community tank and within 30 seconds it had latched on to a plant and take a HUGE chunk out of a leaf lol so it was back in the empty tank very quickly and I may have to take him back to the LFS and get something smaller lol :oops:

It is a shame as they are awesome to watch and look really good

Well, I didn't see the front of the snail (at pet store) but the shell and I'm wondering if that is what they were because the shell looks identical. They were huge, so possibly this kind of snail...never thought to ask someone what kind it was, duh :oops: :o

Caper