Setting up a fry tank

bedazzled

Hi guys,

I am hoping to set up a fry tank, I have just got a AR126 (22 litres i believe) that I want to use.

I have some guppy fry already in my community tank and the mamma guppies are in a family way again, and I also think my female balloon molly is due to drop any day looking at the size of her.

My questions are: Do I need to cycle this tank before adding any fry or will they be so small as to not make a huge difference? I can use some of the ceramic noodles from my community tank so cycling shouldn't take too long I guess but I would like to save the first fry from my molly

What should I use as a substrate? I have read of people using a bare bottom tank for fry but am not sure whether this is better or not.

I am sure I will have 50 other questions lol

Thanks in advance for any help

:bow:

Use some of the water from the existing tank - the more the better and if you can use some media as well it would be even better. The fry won't have much effect on the bio-load themselves but be careful not to overfeed them because if you do the uneaten waste will. Be careful if you are using anything other than a sponge filter that the fry don't get sucked in.

Thanks for your reply adodge :D

I have the standard filter that comes with those tanks which is a hang on the back, wet dry kinda thing (sorry I don't know the correct name) So I will put a stocking or something over the intake pipe.

Am I better to have a bare bottomed tank so I can easily get rid of waste or some small gravel and plants?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but I really want to get this right :oops:

use a bear bottom tank as it makes a quick syphon each day really easy

Float the very small fry in a plastic container as it makes it easier not to syphon the small ones up untill they are big enough to be easily seen

Thanks for the help.

The tank is now set up, I have filled it completely with water from my community tank and put a few ceramic noodles from the existing tank in there too. Will just let it run for a few days and do a water test as I have to wait until I can get a heater any way, bugger no pet shops being open today lol

Hi Sam,

I picked the heater up last night, so all is going to plan now, just waiting for it to warm up nicely and should be good to put a mummy fish in there. Looks like the guppy will be first up, The balloon mollies are getting fat but don't look ready to explode yet lol

Well, Mama guppy was first in lol

I put her in last night and within 2 hours she had presented about 20 fry :D :D

I am still unsure about the balloon mollies, hard to tell how far along they are , since they always look fat lol