plants not growing well in 9 months

Dubbo

Hi all.

I got a 130L AR620T tank 9 months ago, but for some reason the plants aren't doing as well as I thought they should, especially the ones down below.

From the beginning I've been using the fertiliser balls, and plants are still very small, I've just recently started using Flourish liquid fertiliser and a small CO2 system from the beginning of May, the difference is almost insignificant though, but then I dont know how fast plants are suppose to grow ?

However, one of my plant is doing very well, I dunno what it's called but it looks like spring onion.

Getting new light fittings is kinda out of the question because well... I'd prefer to spend the money on a new bigger tank than to modify the existing small tank.

I read some parts of your forum and some of you guys seen to be using flourish excel, is that necessary even with a CO2 system ?

Thanks for any suggestion

Something relaly low, I think 36W total. There was a display unit of 620T in HFF, which have plants that are in great shape, I asked them if they used any extra lighting apart from what came with the aquarium they said no.

Hi Dubbo,

No - Flourish excel shouldnt be needed if using CO2, but you mentioned liquid fertilizer which is something completely different.

As you have probably already read, you need lighting, nutrients, and CO2 for your plants to grow well. I would suggest adding liquid fertilizer to the water (PMDD etc) or modifying the substrate (would require a rebuild) to include something like Daltons aquatic mix.

Also - what temp is your water?

The water is about 26-27 degrees I think, I dont have a thermometer just going by what I set the heater to.

I have begun adding the flourish type of liquid fertiliser since beginning of May. I do have quite abit of algae problem (it would cover the entire front tank glass if I don't touch it for 3 weeks), so I assume I have more than enough fertilisers. The plants aren't exactly looking healthy either I think. A lot of yellowing and some black spots. I also add some home made potassium solution (potassium chloride) as extra to help the plants.

I try not to use lighting excessively after I read about algae, I turn it on for 8 hours a day in a 4 hour- 2 hour break- 4 hour schedule.

How long does it usually take for a healthy plant to grow from small stage to the top of the tank ?

I think you need way more lighting. if you get the plants growing well you wont have to worry about algae because the plants will use up the nutrients. i dont think the 4 hour plus 2 hour break on the lighting is a good idea. it doesnt sound very natural. i think it would probably be better doing 8 hours in one go.

i have a 250l planted tank with 108w fluros running 12 hrs and i dose with PMDD every few days, and im throwing out clippings every week. not a spot of algae growing!

Heya, thanks for the advice.

I don't want to get any stronger lighting cause it will cost me about $100 for a stronger aquaone lighting from local pet shop, and if that's the case I'd rather save that money for a bigger tank than to outfit a tank I am gonna outgrow in half a year.

I setup the lighting cause I read somewhere (possibly someone on this board), that continous light source encourages growth of algae but if there's a break in between the light period algae won't be able to survive.

I thought about PMDD, but my tank already has 10ppm Nitrate level on the weekly tests, so adding more isn't good right ? that's why I am only adding Potassium Chloride for the potassium, not adding anything else.