Green algae in turtle tank!!

nick777

Hi guys, How on earth do I get rid of the green algae in my turtle tank?

I searched the forum and people suggested putting chinese algae eaters or b/ns, but I'm afraid that my turtle will be a little too friendly to them :lol:

I cleaned a few times, but they seem to grow back so quickly (within a couple of days :o ). Now that I left them to grow, I've got these long green lines on the buttom of my tank and my green sliders seem to have grown furs! :lol:

Any ideas?

just like a fish tank it needs to be cycled and pref with a good canister filter, regular water changes and can scrub glass etc but i wouldnt clean out filter until flow gets restricted or maybe every month or 2 and even then dont clean everything in your filter, always leave some muck (contains good bacteria) and algae should go away!

also imo whether you have uv lights(as needed for turtles) or not sunlight may be enough to tip the balance & cause algae and prob not alot of benefit uv wise if sunlights going throug a window/glass so may help to minimalise

blah blah blah u may already know that but yea would help to know what lights, filter, size of tank and temps are etc?? :lol:

Thanks guys, I have a 3 ft tank near a window with no UV lighting as I was told the turtle would get enough from the sunlight.

I have a big canister filter with really good water flow. I think I should start doing some water change more regularly...ummm... :-?

when i used to have turtles i was told that too much sun causes green algae, and not enough sun causes brown algae. i moved the tank out of direct sunlight and the green algae wasn't as bad

my 2 cents