Spray Bar Position

NPnewbie

Probably a silly question: should the spray bar of an external filter be set above the water line, below the water line or spraying outside of the tank? I know the last one isn't right so if anyone has any opionions please help....This is a serious question by the way. :P

it doesnt matter and is up to you. the instructions on my eheim 2215 said to put the spray bar either just above the water line or just below it. angled straight out or at a 45 degree depending on how you want a bit of water flow. it didn't recommend angling directly down though

I've positioned mine just below the waterline with a bit of the spray bar above the waterline so that there is not a lot of noise also if you feed your fish pellets then the water current by the spray bar will push the pellets down into the water instead of them all gathering between the spray bar and the sides.

Because of the noise generated (Alan's comment) I have mine just below the surface where it still causes a ripple on the surface but no actual noise.

Same here... its a shame tho, i love the look of it out of the water, but cant handle the noise!

Well I must thank the wise one upstairs for my bladder (apparently got it from Harrod's in anticipation of a fish fetish in later life). I have my spraybar positioned just above the waterline and love the sound of the "waterfall" (when I can hear it over the bubbling BBS factory that is). :D

I'm with Warren on the c02.

However i'm against the use of spray bars alltogether. I took mine off, looks 10x nicer. Have you noticed that the Fluval filters don't use them anymore and just have that little jet looking thing? UBER.

• 5 months later...
If you got a lot of plants in your tank I would fit the spraybar under the watersurface so not to disturb it and loose CO2.

I have 4 filters running on my tank without spraybars, its driven by C02 and is heavly planted. No problems for me.

Pie

Not if you are injecting CO2. The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is tiny and amount of CO2 in the water is therefore low (in equalibrium with the atmosphere). When you have CO2 injection the CO2 level is 10x+ higher (and not in equalibrium with the atmosphere). Any surface movement allows the CO2 to escape back into the atmosphere.