May 20, 200818 yr comment_236197 hi all i have a red sea max it has been setup for about 6 weeks i have about 15 kg of live rock. I dont have any hair alage on the rock but i do on the back glass. I have some live rock rubel in the return pump chamber and have taken out the white sponge and cut the black sponge in half. I have rowaphos and sea/gel carbon mix in the chamber next to the skimmer. Is this the right place to have the rowaphos and carbon/mix. I have also noticed first thing in the morning before the lights go on brown string like alage on the sand base this disapears after the lights have been on for a time what is this is it just the tank cycleing? Thanks perren. Report
May 21, 200818 yr comment_236199 Yep, that is just part of the process - nothing to worry about at this stage. Your set-up sounds fine - the only thing you have to be mindful of is not restricting waterflow to the return pumps which can lead to cavitation and bubbles - in your case that means not letting the black sponge block (I've got rid of mine altogether). Report
May 21, 200818 yr comment_236242 as an aside, while the likes of rowaphos is very good (at least it has been for me) most phosphate removers have a tendency to stip your kH pretty quick. measure your alkalinity with a test kit and increase kH with baking soda mixed with RODI water. roughly speaking, 1tspn will raise 190 litres by 1kH. maintain kH at around 7-10 Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.