Fish stocking suggestions

Foxjxa

Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of doing a complete re-vamp of my current 'big' tank, ie changing all the fish, plants and decorations, and I'd like to hear what everyone thinks would be good to put in there.

It's a ~220L tank, 915x380x500mm.

I'm not really into African's, *hides*, or brackish fish. I'm pretty much open to all other ideas.

Let the suggestions begin!

You should have a planted tank with big rocks or driftwood with lots of schools of smaller fish with a few bigger fish (like dwarf cichlids or something) would look cool. wIt all depends what sort of fish you lioke and then working with that.

What sort of fish do you like? If you tell us what you like then we can give you soome ideas on what you add to them and then you make the final decission

:P

Well I've currently got a random assortment of fish, so a biotype tank would be nice. The last bit of driftwood I put in my tank leaked A LOT of tannin and my water is still brownish! :o so I'd like to avoid driftwood if I can.

I like:

Bichirs

Angelfish

Rams

Kuhli loaches

Bumblebee Gobys

Killies

Glowlight tetra

~Cardinal tetra (Sort of gone off them after a couple got parasites. Ew)

And I love planted tanks :D

I like:

Bichirs

Angelfish

Rams

Kuhli loaches

Bumblebee Gobys

Killies

Glowlight tetra

~Cardinal tetra (Sort of gone off them after a couple got parasites. Ew)

An amazonian peaceful community would be nice, with a nice sand substrate and plants.. with natural looking pieces of slate and rocks, and coves.. with apistos, and pretty tetras.

Your bumblebee gobies are a brackish fish, and should be kept brackish IMO.. they thrive in the conditions that they require.. There are two species of bumblebee goby that are available in fish keeping.. both are best suited brackish... yet one will tolerate fresh water more so than the other, I have never actually studied what species we have come into NZ, no doubt the one that is more tolerant of freshwater conditions. Bumbleebee gobies are also nippy and grumpy, and rather territorial :lol:

You could however, go with a couple of nice bichir to grow up :D Just be careful what you have as tank mates, because most of the above they will mow down :lol:

Keep us posted on what you decide, revamps are exciting :lol: 8)

Heh, but where will all your beloved individually named fish go?? :lol:

Start from scratch, you need to think in layers. Bottom feeders, then mid water dwellers and top water dwellers. Then break it down into schoolers and non-schoolers (ie, pairs generally)

Like I have:

Bottom Feeders: bristlenose and a whiptail

Midwater Schooling: cardinals and rummies

Midwater Non-schooling: pair of rams

Topwater: maybe some hatchetts one day when I win lotto :wink:

So many tank combo's I'd like, but this happens to be what I have now and like.

Try to not have too many species too I guess, but thats individual pref. And start with your fav fish, and build around them. And if all else fails.... get another tank mwahaha

LOL! Well I'm missing up between scraping it all and getting a baby bichir or just sticking with the Angels, Rams and Cardinals like Dixon suggested. (In which case I would be keeping my kuhli's too - I love them!)

I was eying up some hatchet fish today... yes... must win lotto...

Maybe I can convince the BF to let me get another tank.... hmm *Dreams of converting the laundry into a fish-room*

Sounds nice, Sandy. I'll definately have to come by for a look sometime.

I think I'll put my driftwood back into the tank, stuff it full of Amulija (spelling?), take out my little fish (tetras, killies and guppies) and try get that 'dwarf' Senegal bichir off the unmentionable site. If it eat my other fish - oh well, I still have a bichir, and if it doesn't - then YAY! :P

But now I have to plan how to get rid of my precious babies. :( I'm certainly reluctant about giving away Mr Australe Gold! Hmm... plotting time.

Setup a couple small tanks for the killies :D

If the BF will let me... :P Otherwise my Australe's will be chilling with the Clown's until I can find them a good home. My other killies will become lunch if no one wants them. :evil: RARR!

One thing that you should get is a school of neons (15 or so) and a school of glowlight tetras (10 or so) and put them together and then you'd get a super school of glowlights and neons (thats what I've got in my tank and it looks so cool). I've only got 15 neons and 5 glowlights though as I wasn't sure if they'd school together.

Well I still haven't decided yet...

I tried bidding on the "dwarf" bichir on you-know-where, but the owner wouldn't ship! :(

So I've narrowed it down to two choices:

a) Get a baby bichir and grow it up. (Possibly with my angels - or would they get 'mowed down' too?)

b) Keep my angels, cardinals, glowlights and maybe my blue rams.

Either way I'm going to plant the whole tank out with Amulija and put the driftwood back in.

Anyone want to vote? ;)

I vote for B!

Those are all pretty, colourful, interesting fish.

I had a bichir and at one stage I wrapped one of those plant weights around a prawn and dropped it in the tank. You should see the AMAZINGLY sharp toothmarks in the plant weight! I certainly wouldn't be putting any fish in a tank with those teeth to contend with!

Aw, no one thinks I should get a bichir? I expected more pro-monster-fish-keepers. ;)

I do enjoy my 'golden oldies', so I guess a spruce up is just what the tank needs, as opposed to a complete revamp. Still, I'm not entirely sure yet. Decisions, decisions! :-?