Power boards

fins

I wouldnt risk using a power board with 10 outlets. THe ones with 5 are much safer. If u use too many appliances on one power board, it will cause an overload and cost u heaps in the long run because ur fuses and stuff will burn. Might even cause a power outage. If you need to run lots of appliances, get a second plug point installed. Its much safer and will give you peace of mind.

You only get a power overload if the total power is too high. We have some 8 point outlets but they are home made. All power boards sold these days have thermal cutouts in them so you can't overload them. There is nothing wrong with plugging one power board into another. This way you get 11 outlets from 2 6 way boards.

Bear in mind 2 sockets in the wall are wired together so are no different to using a single socket with a double adapter.

add up the amp's consumed by all devices off the boards, so long as they're not over 10 amps (standard) which is unlikely then you'll be fine. i remember being told by my sparky mate not to plug power board into another, cant remember why but i'll ask him next time i see him and post it.

If you have enough continuous load on one of the powerboards to cause an overload (10A or more) then you're using 2.3kW of power. This will be $250+ on your power bill. I'd be more worried about that...

If you have a dual outlet wall socket you can plug one plugboard into each. Each wall socket is rated for 10A so you can get 20A total (or 16A depending on the breaker). It's not a good idea to fully load a plugboard to 10A however. 6-7A is a good safe maximum. As they age the thermal trips in them get weak and cause nuisance trips if they are loaded too much for their entire life.

Most aquariums need a lot of plugs for many small low-drain devices. A couple of 300W heaters, some power heads, a couple of canister filter and a couple of fluro's won't overload a powerboard (maybe 5A max listed here...)