Chimeras Tank Build (Sump room, new tank etc)

chimera

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i created a stand under the fuge today for a pod tank - a small 2 foot (70 litre) tank (separate to the main system) I had all the bits and pieces spare so thought why not (had the tank, a small airstone skimmer, spare heater and light and little powerhead) Only thing I found was the light had a 'marine glow' actinic - shouldnt matter though. The water was taken from the fuge (then I did a 200 litre water change with ASW - for a change - there goes $50... :D ) I also took out some sand and a couple bits of LR from the fuge. Chances are there are some pods in that water somewhere so hopefully they'll start 'podpulating' :D

Here's how the pod tank looks:

podtank-050730.jpg

and here's a pic of where the pod tank is placed:

sumproom-050730.jpg

Do you think I need to feed the tank (thus feed the pods?) Might sprinkle a bit of cyclop-eeze in to add a little bit of nutrients to the water as there are no fish?

whats eating the pods in your connected refugium?

no idea.

the 2nd fuge is just for the hell of it, i had the room, had the equipment, figured it would come in handy for all sorts of things. idea now is to kick start pod growth then i'll chuck the ones that grow in there into the main fuge and hopefully it should multiple from there. idea later could use it as a qt tank, might breed clowns in it, might have it as a trial nano or even a separate frag grow out tank. who knows?

• 1 month later...

well i finally started dosing zeovit tonight, following my sps colouration (or lack of) thread. im dosing on brendans recommendations of:

10 drops bac - every other day for a two week period then 5 drops 2 x weekly

10 drops food - every other day for a two week period then 5 drops 2 x weekly

quite typical i run out of activated carbon just as i start tonight. will buy a bag tomorrow. i assume it's no problem not having activated carbon for 24 hours while zeovit's running.

i have a heap of 'before' photo's which i'll post soon. hopefully should be able to take pic's weekly and keep a progressive update to see how well the colouration comes out predominantely in my sps.

Just prior to starting Zeovit...

Ok, some pic's of acro's between 01 July and 30th August 2005 (most photo's taken recently, those that aren't are because there is little difference to their colour now). Some acro's show some signs of starting to colour but most are predominantely brown. The poc is a pinkish brown, the millepora starting to go pink with green tips. stag's are all brown with blue tips. Some photo's are just frags fixed at various places around the tank...

30 august

acro1-050830.jpg

30 august

acro2-050830.jpg

30 august

acro3-050830.jpg

30 august

acro4-050830.jpg

15 august

greenacro-050815.jpg

30 august

pocillopora-050830.jpg

11 july

bluecoral-050711.jpg

30 august

milleporafrag-050830.jpg

7 august

hydnophora-050807.jpg

11 july

birdsnest-050711.jpg

7 august

montiporadigitata-050807.jpg

and finally a zoom out shot of part of the right side of the tank, 30 august

rightsideacros-050830.jpg

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/totm/index.php

i like this tank and take a look at his lighting and coral colours. unless this person is lying as well.

great growth and colours with lots of fish and just 150 M/h's.

nevermind that he also uses Zeovit. :wink:

Nice gem tang. They usually run around US$1,500... when available.

i like this tank and take a look at his lighting and coral colours. unless this person is lying as well. (sure lduncan will find something negative). :roll:

great growth and colours with lots of fish and just 150 M/h's.

nevermind that he also uses Zeovit. :wink:

Who did I say was lying? Why do you have to make stuff up like that? It's getting quite annoying.

One thing i noticed about your acros chimera is that they dont seem to be getting much light. one factor in getting colored acropora.

he runs two 250watt and at present one 150watt over a 5 foot tank which is way more than most people have! can't remember from memory if he has any tubes over the tank. :-? plus most of his corals are higher up.

One thing i noticed about your acros chimera is that they dont seem to be getting much light. one factor in getting colored acropora.

cheers reef, but i'll blame that on poor reflectors,... but mainly bad camera settings :D they look much brighter under normal viewing.

btw, dont kill my thread with zeovit debates and arguing over like above. continue with one of the many previous whining threads on that topic if you must.

It's only been 3 days since I've started with Zeovit and have not yet noticed any change in coral colour - not that I'd expect too yet, taking it slow (except for perhaps a millepora which looks slightly lighter showing a blueish tinge 'underneath' and the tips of some acro's 'ever so slightly' lighter) After a day of running zeovit non-stop, I changed the pump to run off a timer which turns on/off every 3 hours (after working out the pump is rated for 1400lph yet I should only be pumping about 800lph through it)

What is noticeably different however, is how much clearer the water is. I did add about 800grams of fresh carbon yesterday, however I have always run activated carbon changing about every 6-8 weeks (but usually only about 300 - 500 grams at a time) Not sure if the double in carbon quantity would solely add to the water clarity.

If there is noticeable improvement in any corals on Thursday (1 week after starting Zeovit) I'll post some new pic's.

BTW, I just worked out roughly what it will cost me run a Zeovit system (excluding outlay on reactor and pump) - $1 a day.

Hahahahaha 3 days, I noticed changes.

Keep eyes open for bleeching corals.

Is your skimmer pulling more crap out? I noticed this almost imediatly with Zeovit.

Good luck man, I am sure its going to work out sweet.

$1 a day? You could sponcer a child insted. Every day your corals look better, a little child waits. Everytime you post a pic, a little child waits...

Pies

Is your skimmer pulling more crap out? I noticed this almost imediatly with Zeovit.

Yes, but not more, just MUCH darker.

Hey Chimera, what are your water params like?

Undetectable for PO4, NO3, etc

Ca 420, Mg 1500, Akl 10

Ammonia 500ppm,... kidding.

Chimera you will need to drop the alkalinity to 8, 10 is to high.

What happens, not yet, but once nutrients are down to very low levels, a relationship must be kept between alk and ca or you may get TN. A Ca of 420 is good for zeovit, but alk should not be above 8. If you want a higher alk, you would also have to raise ca.

But the ideal, in a phase 3 zeovit tank, is ca 420-440, and alk 7-8.

This is little realised as yet, as an alk much higher than NSW has not been an issue in more traditional higher nutrient tanks, and in fact has been encouraged. But it is an issue now we are getting systems much closer to the water on a reef.

Yes that's correct Pies. There has been some discussion about this at zeovit .com.

The actual zeovit recommended alk is 7, but you can get away with 8 and many are doing that for the reasons you said. Mine is at 8 also.

This is one of the extra advantages to have a big skimmer, to help with good aeration at night.

Someone will probably shoot me for this, but the general consensus on the other board has been if you can not let PH drop below 7.9 overnight it will be acceptable.