Going away for.... 5 weeks! Advice wanted..

Leviathan

Hey All,

I am going on a five week Euro Holiday in September... so i need to sort out what i will do with the maintenence of my 130L planted community tank..

I have a timer on the light.

I have an aqua minder which sounds an alarm if the temp raises or lowers below or above my set temperates...so i can warn my flatmates about that..

Im keen for some advice on how much maintencene and feeding i should ask someone to do for me...

I was thinking maybe a feeding 2 times each week

and then maybe 2 30% waterchanges

I have to ask my flatmate really nicely if he will do this for me....

the only other option is to buy an automatic feeder and program that, then hope no water change for 5 weeks wont kill everything..

but im not too sure on the idea of that...

let me know what you would do! Thanks

Ami

Heya,

I have a built in Aqua one hood filter, and also a second filter in the tank with a spray bar which agitates the surface (its a tall tank).

I have 3 platties, 2 Honey Dwarf Gouramis and 2 flame tetras (those guys are being re homed soon as they need to be in a school)

Probally a few GBA;s soon hopefully too.

I might see if my flatmate is interested in doing the maintenance for me, im not going until september so i have a bit of time to train him up.

So maybe a water change each week - 5 in total

and feed twice a week...

That isn't a high fish load. If you get them to feed once or twice a week it won't matter that there hasn't been a water change. (I only do water changes every 3 months or so :-? )

I would go to the $2 shop and buy a daily pill dispenser and put the right amount of food for each feed in each compartment then ask your flatmate to empty one compartment in, say, each Monday and Friday or just once a week. Less feeding, less waste, less need for water change.

Hide all other fish food :wink:

i wouldnt even do waer changes

i would puton a regime to feed very little, maybe once every two days, small amount,

keep timer on, filter on, mybe clean the filter slightly 3 weeks prior leaving.

then change wtaer when you get back

withg plnted tanks, it should help also