Can i put 210L tank on my worktop?

greatmoojin

Hi All,

Getting a new 3 foot tank soon and can't afford an expensive stand, any idea if my kitchen worktop could hold the weight? Approx 260kg with gravel etc on a worktop thats well fixed to the wall (brackets/silicone etc) with a support leg underneath one tank side and a base unit under the other?

no digital camera im afraid :x It's hard to imagine someone elses kitchen eh! I had thought about bracing it but it's a really awkward place...hmm, guess i'll try it out and if it starts to sag or come away from the wall i'll have to move it to the floor quick smart!

Anyone had this problem before?

Quick update: picked the tank up yesterday, wow, no way would my worktop support it! These things always look smaller in my imagination!! So far we haven't started to fill or cycle the tank while we figure out whats the cheapest and safest way of raising it off the floor, probably go for a metal stand from HFF i guess!

However, if anyone has any brilliant ideas for a cheaper option i'm all ears!

Sorry about your breakfast bar island Caryl, your story was running through my head all weekend!

Im pretty sure some people on here have made pretty sturdy and cheap stands using bricks stacked up, with a specically cut/sized peice of flat wood on top, polystyrine of course, and then just putting a bit of material around the bottom to hide the big bricks.

Might be a cheaper option than a store bought stand?

Kitchens about 11 years old, only 1 x 300mm unit on one side, then a dishwasher then an end panel, IMHO theres no way it will hold that weight, which i was quite annoyed with due to the extra expense now i have to buy a stand, but im over that now, plus the new place it will sit in is much nicer! :P