Phyto

OCEANDOSE

Better start a fresh thread that belongs to the subject, rather than hijack :oops:

Right......Reef and Myself have taken the gloves off and are going to do an experiment/trail

I have never met Reef and the same applies to him(you'ld think), neither of us do business or deal with each other in anyway, and arn't old school buddies, which you would have picked up if you followed the other thread.

The trial will be based on 1-2 months of daily dosing, i reccommend 40mls/100L every second day. Reef will confirm latter what dosage he is going to feed as his tank has a high SPS percentage.

Many experienced reefers have dosed phyto with excellent result,(these people will make themselves known in this thread if they feel comfortable).

Reef has trialed the DT live phytoplankton product in the past, with very little sucess and had a buildup of nutients to show for it. While i dont claim to be a phyto expert, i dont agree with the selection of algaes that are contained in the DT product.(Nannochloropsis, Phaeodactylum and Chlorella)

Oceandose phyto is a Blend of Nanno, Tetraselmis and Isocysis, these are the most commonly used phyto strains in aquaculture and together form a complete package, with all needed amino acids, color pigments and minerals/vitamins any coral/animal could wish for.

I will be supplying Reef the phyto at no charge, allthough he has offered to cover the courier charges.

SHOWTIME 8)

Well here's a question for you phyto heads! :D

It has to do with the difference between live and dead (dried) phyto.

In a tank with a good skimmer, a lot of phyto that is dosed, if it is not consumed immediately, is going to be skimmed within a few hours.

If the phyto is live, once dosed to the tank it will start to consume nutrients from the water. Then it gets skimmed, thereby cleaning the tank. But dead phyto would not do this. So could this be part of the reason people see cyano dissapear, and other good stuff, that might not be replicated with dead phyto?

Obviuosly, dead phyto added to the tank is extra nutireints the second it hits the water, while live phyto will continue to use the tanks nutrients untill its either eaten or skimmed out

Apparently only really good skimmers will remove phyto from the water coloumn, venturi and airstone skimmers dont really have a chance, the new needle wheel skimmers should remove the majority.

In saying that if the live phyto isn't getting skimmed out that quickly, it can only be consuming the tanks nutrients as food, reducing the cyano, and other nutrients.

You have then created a slowed natural phytoculture system in your tank......untill its all skimmed out or eaten.

Quote "The bottom line is that no dead, semi-live or bottled live product can come close to the useful longevity of fresh refrigerated live cultures (regarding particle size in particular)... and since fresh live cultures kept refrigerated degrade markedly on a daily basis (clumping/clotting) until around 6 months (at best), we cannot expect these older, less fresh, commercially processed products to fair much better no matter how much money in marketing the manufacturers spend. "

Also worth noting that, as phyto is sitting in the fridge, its slowly using its own nutrients to stay alive(vitamins/aminos ect), so after a few weeks you may think you're doing good to your tank but in reality your feeding empty phyto shells, with no nutition inside.

I dont know enought about chemical warefare to confirm this but, different strains will naturally try to poison off other species to remian dominant....

I reccommend you use livephyto within 2 weeks or 3 weeks max, after this time, the phyto will start to degrade.

its good your getting it tested like this

but maybe send it elsewhere that dosnt sell products on the market to avoid being biased

people like gannet conch markoshard fmxmatt ....... could better

(nothing against you reef but IMO you would be less likely to report any good things because you have a market share in this - importing Reef-roids )

its good your getting it tested like this

but maybe send it elsewhere that dosnt sell products on the market to avoid being biased

people like gannet conch markoshard fmxmatt ....... could better

(nothing against you reef but IMO you would be less likely to report any good things because you have a market share in this - importing Reef-roids )

Reef will be honest with the results, The phyto has allready been trialed by Puttputt on the other site, and he doesn't import anything.

I would also prefer a good clean well known tank with a experienced owner(not knocking any other reefers, just dont know anything about you or your tanks and practises)

As far as measuring the results, i guess it would be visual(new growth, color improvments, better PE extension, more pods, ect), Any ideas on how else to test, please comment???

The skimate colour has changed in my skimmers since dosing phyto. One is an Aqua-C EV240 which uses an injection system and the other is an Aqua Medic with a needle wheel pump. Definitely greener.

And on the SPS front (only one in the tank) I have some plating monti that would always grow for awhile then start dying off, then start growing again after a water change before dying off again. Since I have been dosing phyto it has not gone through a die off phase and is probably larger than ever with great polyp extension.

After a lot of consideration I’m pulling this trial. Sorry to those that were looking forward to it.

This will be a big waste of my time, energy and money, Reef hasn’t shown much interest, which is obviously going to continue though the trial, and end in a false report(as well as other reasons metioned).

The phyto has proved itself for well over a year now, and continues to do so, with people from all over the country dosing.

Once again sorry to those who wanted to see the trial. If there is another experienced reefer out there who wants to give this trial a shot, PM me your details and we will keep this thread alive.

Guest Anonymous

I know someone in Wellington who has been in the marine hobby for 10yrs now. He has been dosing phyto for the last 6-8mnths (give or take). I will ask him what he has noticed as far as the overall effects on his tank.

He'd be unbiased; He, nor I, get anything out of the results*. He started using it out of curiosity.

*He doesn't pay for the phyto, so it's his choice to use it. He doesn't sell it, culture it or make any money from it. Even though I culture phyto; I don't sell it, so I make no money from it. I don't even dose my tank with it; it's solely there to feed my rotifers for breeding. If the results came back that phyto was crap, it wouldn't change either of our circumstances.

Guest Anonymous
Not much to say really. Haven't noticed any change for hard corals but it seems to have accelerated growth of soft corals, particularly the gorgonian.

And his Gorgonian is quite large :) Actually.. most of his corals are :P Pods or Feather Duster increase wouldn't be noticed in this tank because he has alot of coral nipping/zooplankton eating fish.

I did notice alot of Feather dusters, zooplankton and macro-algae growth in my tank when I was dosing on and off. It gives the tank a nice natural feeling to it and gives the fish something good to eat. Sadly my CBB munched all my feather dusters.

Day one of the trial has started.

Dosed 800 ML tonight.

will be dosing every second day but will reduce the dose to 400 ML next week.

Will post before pics and after once i can clean my tank and remove all the excess corals from my substrate.

Dont expect any results yet but noticed the goniopora opened a little more after feeding.

will updated weekly.

Guest Anonymous

A little confusion, trials still on.... :oops:

You've seen comment from someone who has been dosing in Welly got last 6 months. Reef even knows him :) So I'd expect the same results from Reef's experiment.

Guest Anonymous
Comments appreciated, but dont know your mate and dont know the phyto he is using.

This trial is Reefs tank and Oceandose phyto , so the results will more than likely be different!

For sure :)

He has been using Nano, Tet and T-ISO (not lately though, as I don't have any). Pretty knowledgeable, If I am not mistaken he helped Reef when he was setting his tank up? Reef should know who I am talking about.

Guest Anonymous

If I'm not mistaken, your not allowed to post peoples names on here :P And he isn't a member of FNZAS but was a member (no longer) on other forum.

I too am very keen to get Reef's opinion on dosing Phyto :D