Power-meowing

Foxjxa

Over the past couple of weeks, my 5 month old kitten has started to power-meow outside my bedroom door from 6am onwards, and I cannot get her to stop!! It's not a cute little meow either, it's the "WAKE UP NOW" kind of meow that never ends!

It's not only me that she's affecting, either, my flatmates haven't complained yet - they sleep like logs - but she's getting louder and louder I'm sure she'll wake them up soon as well.

If someone else in the flat gets up, she'll shut up for maybe 15 minutes, but then she'll pick a spot as close to my room as she can get and start howling again. When I get up, whether it be to put her outside, feed her, pet her, etc and then go back to bed, she tries to run into my room with me. Once I've successfully gotten into my room by myself, she'll stay quiet for a while before starting up the power meow again. Once I'm properly awake and let her in, she'll follow me around (somewhat quietly), curl up an sleep on me if she can, or play fight with whatever part of me is closest to her.

For the first month I had her, she slept in my room with me at night. But she is quite loud in the mornings when she jumps up on my dresser and attacks my make up brushes - so she was voted out of the bedroom. She adjusted to sleeping on the towel-shelf fine, and has been sleeping there (or around there) at night ever since. I don't know what I've done to start this meowing wake-up call - but does anyone know of a way to make her stop?! She needs to learn I cannot give her attention 24/7. :(

I keep her food bowl well-stocked, she has constant access to her litter tray. She has been spayed and she has several toys scattered around the flat for her use. Over the past couple of nights, I've been having to lock her out of the hall way (which is where I can hear her yowling from), but as soon as someone else wakes up, she's right back outside my door!

Help?

~Stupid kitty-spoiler!

Id just ignore her let her get over it..

If you start giving her attention or pats or anything then she will start getting into a habbit of it and then you will have to be up every morning at 6am lol

Obviously if there is something wrong with her (ie needs to go out to go toilet and you have no litterbox/catdoor then that wont work but im assuming everythign is ok and the kitten is just wanting attention or someone to play with.

I'm fairly sure she's not getting cold, as she would stop meowing as soon as the sun rose, (my room gets evening sun, not the morning sun so isn't particularly warm in the mornings!), and she sleeps surrounded by warm fluffy towels. I'll give her another blanket just in case.

The little minx in purring away on my lap at the moment, just about asleep and not a peep out of her! I'm sure it's attention she wants.

She'd better grow out of it! She's a wonderful cat otherwise, this meowing is not very becoming. :P

I will continue trying to ignore her, it just gets very difficult after an hour of screeching. :(

Would it be mean of me to move her toys, bed and blankets into the laundry - where her kitty litter + food is - for tonight? (No one goes in there in the morning, so she wouldn't get out until I let her out) I wouldn't be able to hear her then.

Are you one of those people who lock their cats out at night so they can roam and make a nuisance of themselves by crapping in peoples gardens, fighting with other cats, killing native wildlife, going into other peoples houses for food etc?

:x

Are you one of those people who lock their cats out at night so they can roam and make a nuisance of themselves by crapping in peoples gardens, fighting with other cats, killing native wildlife, going into other peoples houses for food etc?

:x

Absolutely not!! My kitty is mostly an indoor-cat and, my boyfriend can confirm this, I get extermly worried when I can't find her at night to bring her inside. She does get locked outside during the day by accident, but never on purpose! :( She is always kept inside during the night.

It also pays to note I'm surrounded by other student flats, so luckily there's not much native wildlife around that's endangered by my friendly little girl.

For the first month I had her, she slept in my room with me at night. But she is quite loud in the mornings when she jumps up on my dresser and attacks my make up brushes - so she was voted out of the bedroom. She adjusted to sleeping on the towel-shelf fine, and has been sleeping there (or around there) at night ever since. I don't know what I've done to start this meowing wake-up call - but does anyone know of a way to make her stop?! She needs to learn I cannot give her attention 24/7. :(

I think that she used to have the cat in her room but decided not to.. Personally I would just leave the door open and stick your brushes in the drawer :) lol

Your kitten will get over it she is only young, lol mind you cats have such wicked attitudes and are very stubborn :)

I'm tossing up between leaving my door open and continuing to ignore her in the hope that she'll stop. :(

I'll see how she is tonight, knowing me, I'll probably cave and learn to live with her attacking everything in the morning. :P The howling is just too horrible - she really knows how to guilt people.

I'm tossing up between leaving my door open and continuing to ignore her in the hope that she'll stop. :(

I'll see how she is tonight, knowing me, I'll probably cave and learn to live with her attacking everything in the morning. :P The howling is just too horrible - she really knows how to guilt people.

Regardless of what you do, she'll do it for a month or two and then stop - even if you leave the door open. Its really is just a phase. I know this because I am married to a mad cat women. :-?

Do you have children ? if not this is a very good learning curve for you :wink:

Ashra who is 18 months is up every day at 6am only because we use to pick her up and bring her to our bed, in the hope' s that he will go back to sleep. :x well it never worked!

I'd put her in the laundry. My cats always had a room (laundry/bathroom/kitchen) which they were locked in at night, and whenever we weren't in the house, until they were old enough not to be a nuisance. It's not mean, as long as it's cosy and safe she'll be fine. Probably less stressful for her to be in there than sitting outside your door!

She may not be a fan of it to start with, but she will get used to it.

I know this because I am married to a mad cat women. :-?

Is that also because she meowed outside your bedroom window until you gave in?

Foxjxa, I how you didn't take my last post personally, I wasn't trying to be rude but it did come across that way a bit now that I re-read it. I agree with conch, just live with it for now (either ignore the meowing or hide the make up) as she'll soon grow out of it. Hopefully.

I live with four cats. Three of them consider me to be their master (or slave as it is with cats :-? ) and if I ever have my door closed at night then my door is scratced by cats trying to get in, or outside my bedroom window there is yowling, or even by my door to the deck there is even more crying.

Furthermore if I let them in and then close my door then they meow and scratch to get out. I gave up and have just started leaving my bedroom door open - Seriously, its the only way that I could get them to shut up - I was getting jack all sleep because of those... pussys and now it's fine (if I don't mind being woken up with a cat purring on my head or in a cramped position with a cat on either side of my legs)

So really my answer to you is keep your door open... They don't learn.. They're just annoying :)

Thanks for all the advice guys! I really, really hope it's just a stage she's going through. For such a small critter, she's got great lung capacity!!

Kitty will be sleeping in my room tonight with the door open. If she starts with the power-meowing again, however, the laundry will be converted to 'the kitty room'. :P

*fingers crossed*

She will prob sleep on your bed for a month or so then move to a new spot in the house :).

I have 4 kitties! (crazy I know) and two of them I hand reared. One follows my brother around and sleeps on his bed and the other follows my boyfriend around.

But I think the BF is just as attached to the cat as she is to him. we where hoping this following was something they would grow out of but they are both 4 now and still doing it.

She will prob sleep on your bed for a month or so then move to a new spot in the house :).

I 4 kitties! ( crazy I know) and two of them I hand reared. One follows my brother around and sleeps on his bed and the other follows my boyfriend around.

But I think the BF is just as attached to the cat as she is to him. we where hoping this following was something they would grow out of but they are both 4 now and still doing it.

I have that problem with my ten year old cat... it's really annoying.. he follows me with his eyes and just stares at me nonstop.. some people think its cute.. i just find it freaky