Discus Breeding tanks

cichlid7

i think it depends on where the fish has been living, i took a pair from my planted tank and put in a bb to spawn, and they sulked in a corner for 4 months.

put them back in my planted tank, they instantly went back to normal, and spawned 4 days later :evil:

yes bb is easiest to keep clean, but a thin layer of gravel an a potted plant or 2 can work well also

• 1 month later...
i think it depends on where the fish has been living, i took a pair from my planted tank and put in a bb to spawn, and they sulked in a corner for 4 months.

put them back in my planted tank, they instantly went back to normal, and spawned 4 days later :evil:

yes bb is easiest to keep clean, but a thin layer of gravel an a potted plant or 2 can work well also

MINE ARE EXACTLY THE SAME..NOW IN BB TANK WITH THREAT IF NO ACTION BY SUNDAY..OFF TO TRADE ME U GO...

• 2 weeks later...

Mine used to spawn in a 300litre planted tank. I used to see the fry picking at plants and the glass after a week or 10 days, and suspect they were eating tiny animals. When the fry were about 3-4 weeks old I would transfer them to a BB tank to grow them out.

28 is the bare minimum for keeping healthy Discus, let alone breeding them. Raise the temperature to 29 and put some dark gravel in the bottom of the spawning tank. You also have to make sure that you do plenty of large water changes and give them a good diet - basically, keep them happy and healthy, and be patient :wink: Incidentally mine would spawn much more regularly in autumn and winter, less so over summer.