dwarf orange gouramis has babies

mumzy50

Hi ph was between 6.8 and 7.0 temp27 tank.40cm.Bare bottem tank,just a bit of driftwood with java moss attached,sponge filter not turned on till babies free swimming,and just a little.And glad wrap.Babies brought up on inforsoria and mico worms egg yolk.These one are bigger than the honeys so i can see them,and wont throw them out :lol: great fish but so slow to grow,compeared to other fish.YOUalso need grow out tanks,as they grow at different rates.Oh i better add floating plants. mumzy50

• 4 weeks later...

My dwarf gouramis just had babies for the second time this month yay they are hatching this morning. the first lot are wild colour and the second lot i put both my males in the tank and got a nest from both males, one of which is a blue and the other a wild type. they both mated with my 3 females, 2 blue and one wild colour

Funny story my flatmate turned off the heater on my first lot by mistake when they were about a week old and i thought they had all died so i left the heater off for a week before turning it on to breed the gouramis again. I found 20 babies happily living in the cold water!

My dwarf gouramis just had babies for the second time this month yay they are hatching this morning. the first lot are wild colour and the second lot i put both my males in the tank and got a nest from both males, one of which is a blue and the other a wild type. they both mated with my 3 females, 2 blue and one wild colour

Funny story my flatmate turned off the heater on my first lot by mistake when they were about a week old and i thought they had all died so i left the heater off for a week before turning it on to breed the gouramis again. I found 20 babies happily living in the cold water!

Congraulation Olly what are you feeding yours,you should have a big batch of young.Have you got grow out tanks ready as they grow at different rates.

At the moment my young ones are getting nobil fluid and my older ones are on novo tom and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. they are about 12mm long now and growing fast. I have several hundred at 4 days old :) I have plenty of room for them to grow up

nope i watched them spawning - male turned them upside down and eggs came out - its a girl

someone must have bred colour into the females they are almost as colourful as the male. they are smaller and their dorsal fin is not as long or pointy. they act like girls too. the two males each have an end of the tank and the girls go wherever they want and the males ignore them unless they have built a nest. they are definitely girls

Hi Olly your gouramis look great.But i agree with Dixon your blue female does look like a male,not just in colour but fin shape.And your right females are starting to have colour.Its not always the boys that are colourful.I have just had a pair of neons,colbult blue.females and blues dwarfs brought down from a breeder,I can now add these to my orange,honeys and colbult.Good luck with yours.And till me your secret as to how you got that baby gourami to grow so quick.