wanting to learn how to make tanks

smcoleman

CLEAN glass before assembling tank. Much easier than after. I mask glass 10mm from edge ,more where the other glass butts (thickness of glass plus 10mm) this makes for a neat clean edge of silicon. remove tape before silicon sets up. Tricky. Clean up with meths. Assemble back to bottom then ends then front. top braces after first lot of sil. has setup. Works for me. Important to use only Aquarium rated acetic cure silicon.eg, Selley,s Glass Silicon Sealant etc. Masking tape on the outside will keep everything together, a sharp razor blade will clean any smudges off after everything has cured . Remember to leave alone for at least a week after building, to allow full strength.

your on to it Ant

The only thing is that Aquarium grade means it has been tested for Aquarium. Other silicones are almost definatly OK but have not been tested as it cost big dollars to test. Just as for food grade silicones, The estermated cost of having it food tested is somewhere in excess of $30,000. Now thats a lot of extra silicone you need to sell ti food places inorder to make that pay

If you are cutting 2nd hand glass yourself make sure it is clean also or you will ruin your cutter (and therefore your cut). I also always take the sharp edge off the glass (with an old oilstone I have been using for about 30 years and is now 3/4 worn away). This will save your fingers. If cutting your own glass you need to be careful that it is all cut acurately and square as the glass has no give and every mistake gets worse as you progress.

your on to it Ant

The only thing is that Aquarium grade means it has been tested for Aquarium. Other silicones are almost definatly OK but have not been tested as it cost big dollars to test. Just as for food grade silicones, The estermated cost of having it food tested is somewhere in excess of $30,000. Now thats a lot of extra silicone you need to sell ti food places inorder to make that pay

a lot of silicones have a mould inhibitor added this will generally be a copper based product so no good 4 fish , basically u should just read the label carefully if it says its safe 4 aquariums it will be selleys have 1 there is also a silaflex 1 which are fine for smaller tanks

• 6 months later...