Fmxmatt's Upgrade

Fmxmatt

uh, are you getting a cbb as your first fish? 0.0?

no, tank has some fish currently, has had more fish in the past but due to an unfortunate glue/resin poisoning incident i lost most of them. don't worry i know the associated problems of CBBs

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice tank Matt :D , I will need to get into gear to tranferre my reef 4ft into my 6ft fish only tank. I will have to get rid of the live rock in the FO tank as I have coppered it in the past, and apparently the copper leaches out over time. It was good to read that most of you guys prefere less rock in a tank...I also have a sand bottom which I will keep, but will clean out well before transferring it. I don't know what to do with the "nigger trigger" though. He is a beautiful fish, he will eat Mr Shrimp!! :cry:

Has he shown aggression towards the shrimp?

I've been considering getting one, and have read in plenty of places they're normally fine with shrimp, providing the shrimp are in the tank for a good period of time first.

True to that

Speaking of Shrimp Cocktail, my mother in law rings me in a panic while i'm on my way home from work

"One of the shrimp have just been sucked into the powerhead!!! what should I do!?"

I get home and as I expected, 1 of them had molted. I somewhat assumed this would be the case, but do remember a number of times in the past being freaked out by a molt jammed up in a powerhead or floating around looking like a dead shrimp :)

I've been caught out too, going to bed really depressed because I was a useless fish keeper and my shrimp had died!!!! I was happy and surprised in the morning when I saw the shrimp still there...it was great!!! AND funny!!! :lol: Mr Trigger has not been in a tank with a shrimp...I might have to keep the 4ft set up just for Mr Trigger.

if you do add the shrimp and the trigger (which im not recommending for or against) make sure either hte shrimp is added first, or that if added later the lights are switched off so that he doesn't become a tasty snack floating in the water column for the trigger

i have read on another forum about a person who had a tank with a shrimp and trigger coexisting happily. They decided to add another shrimp but added it with the lights on, the trigger snapped it up. The theory was that the shrimp was viewed as a food source as it was added in to the water column

interesting, I may keep Trigger in the 4ft, and then introduce him when everyone else is settled, before bed time!! :o That might work? Today, I have finally got the rimu cabinets done on both tanks!! :lol: :bounce: :lol: My friend Sandy is a gem!!! :hail: I will get Caryl to show me how to put photos on.

I've got a piece of dried out liverock that i'd like to add to my refugium. Short of cooking it in a seperate container (alot of work for a piece of rock 1/2 the size of my head) is there anything I can do so I can just put it in the refuge within a few days?

The rock in the main display is well matured, covered in coralline etc and the tank is running 0 PO4 & NO3. Adding this piece to the refuge would be equiv to adding approx 3% more liverock to the total system. Should the mature rock be capable of handling the NH4 & NO2 that may leech?

Or will it just be easier to wait until payday and pop into an LFS and get some precured rock?

I really should've kept more of that Liverock that I gave you, aye Conch ;)

I add small bits into my sump and display occasionally, hasn't caused any problems. How else does the rock become cycled or lseeded to be live? I guess if you wanted to cook it in another container to allow any crud to be forced out of the tank that would be good.

I've also chucked a few dead pieces in in the past in my old tank, but just thought i'd check as the new tank is far more stocked and I'd hate for anything bad to happen :)

Might soak it in a bucket of freshwater for a while, swish it round like a madman to dislodge anything that might be in it.

I have a feeling I MAY have half cooked this particular piece way back when I was first setting up the tank, but due to someone running into the tub with some rock in it with their car (and splitting it spilling 50 litres of saltwater through the garage and sleepout) I just chucked it in the garden and didn't bother with it

Cheers

Tangs are eating purple dried seaweed. Seems to be their favourite, and they eat until they nearly burst. The Sailfin often swims around slowly afterwoulds looking bloated, and is probably saying "Uuuggghhh I really should'nt have eaten all that!"

Whats one of the best and reasonably priced in sump skimmers on the market today that would be suited to my system? 650 odd litres.

Have loved my MCE600, but I think the tank will benefit for something more suited to being in a sump :)

Well going bigger was kinda the plan, depending on cost obviously.

Like from waht i've read, the MCE600 is designed for a 600litre tank with standard stocking, or 450litres heavy stocking.

Would quite like something designed for 1000litres standard and 800 odd heavy, i.e the Tunze 9210 or an Octopus.

The tunze 9210 range skimmers are not great unless you get the new 9420 range. But they are nit cheap.

Not sure why you want to skim more unless you want to have a tank full of SPS corals.

A skimmer does not take out everything. I would look at using carbon, zeolite and water change sto keep up with water quality.