I'm not sure if this is where I should put this...

FreedingFrenzy

lol if your careful or its sealed well they're ok..

I will never touch one again IMO they're a waste of money you have them next to a tank filled with water its inevitable they get wet once wet they fall to bits potentially breaking your tank and ultimately end up rubbish.

You could maybe get something to seal it with and take the tank off seal it all before use?

it ultimately depends on the covering of MDF or customwood. Whether it is melamine with calshed edges or a painted stand (most painted stands are MDF) they are as good as the finish. The kitchen cabinetry & most benchtops houses are made from MDF with a finish over it whether it be melamine, painted or formica.

I'm not that keen on them after building two myself. I recently had my sump overflow and the base of the stand has swollen up so I can't put the doors back on (lucky it has a 4x2 frame inside for structural support). Next time I'll go for 4x2 or steel with MDF panels to close it in.

if they are not raw do the joins still need sealing to stop water seeping into cut ends and swelling around screws etc.

yes water can seep into the joins, a bead of silicone would be best. personally i have a tea towel araound my canister in case of leakage & am kinda careful about spilling water.